Phillip Hunt!!!

jjray

I have not seen a box score anywhere but I believe Phillip scored 14 points (4 3s) tonight (and was named player of the game by ESPN+). He started and must have played 30 minutes. Early in the game, when Reggie and Fish were ice cold, Phillip kept us in the game. I also give UB credit for going with Philip in the starting lineup (Drejaj is still bothered by the ankle) and going with zone for much of the first half (it was very effective against USM).

I believe Hunt shot 5-9 from the field.

Surprisingly Angres Thorpe on the postgame show kinda downplayed Hunt's performance. He was giving most of the credit to Fish and Sloan.

Hunt was great. I was thinking that Brad started him to play the top of the 1-2-2 zone and would be out as soon as the zone was gone. I was also thinking he might be doing it to keep as many injured players as fresh as possible. Then, Hunt becomes THE force on offense. Great game.

A lot of people are commenting on how ugly the first half was but it seemed to me that just the shooting was brutal. SLU played great D (only gave up some shots based on the zone--but there was great blocks and strips) and held onto the ball.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing when the game started--SLU in zone and staying there with Phillip in the starting lineup. As I watched two thoughts came to my mind: (a) Brad is testing the young coach at USM by throwing a new look at him and (B) he is playing to win not just one game but make a run in the tourney (with all the hurt players, he needs to save bodies for later rounds). The USM point guard was about the same size as Phillip so I think USM gave him a good matchup.