thoughts for band

lloyddobbler

2 things:

First, I sit behind the band guy who holds up the "who cares" signs, so I never know what to yell. I know you don't have much time between intros, but if possible do a quick 360 or something.

Second, we really need to figure out a way to get the lyrics to Hey Baby out there. You guys come up with some very clever stuff, but 75% of the arena can't hear you. I guess there's no easy way to get the lyrics to the larger audience, but it'd be great if we could.

What were last night's lyrics?

2 things:

First, I sit behind the band guy who holds up the "who cares" signs, so I never know what to yell. I know you don't have much time between intros, but if possible do a quick 360 or something.

Second, we really need to figure out a way to get the lyrics to Hey Baby out there. You guys come up with some very clever stuff, but 75% of the arena can't hear you. I guess there's no easy way to get the lyrics to the larger audience, but it'd be great if we could.

On the first question, we can have him do a 360 for you all, shouldn't be too much of a problem. On the latter question, however, not quite sure how we can do that. Normally we make those lyrics up during the game, and they're written on a whiteboard, so I have a feeling it'd be quite hard to get those to you. We'll think of some ways to do it, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

On the first question, we can have him do a 360 for you all, shouldn't be too much of a problem. On the latter question, however, not quite sure how we can do that. Normally we make those lyrics up during the game, and they're written on a whiteboard, so I have a feeling it'd be quite hard to get those to you. We'll think of some ways to do it, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

here's a thought have someone whisper the lyrics in guy phillips ear and he can just tell us over the PA. he rarely makes a mistake.

2 things:

Last night's lyrics were "Hey, Hey Brandon! We wanna know, where you got that tan!" It was in reference to Nebraska center Brandon Ubel (the tall red-headed kid) who had absolutely no tan whatsoever.

The guy who holds up the signs posts here, so he'll catch your suggestion, but truthfully I think he would agree that the first priority is to make sure they are visible to the band and the student section, where the majority of the noise is made.

I wouldn't wait up for the lyrics to Hey Baby to be spread around the arena. First of all, the lyrics are normally thought up a couple minutes before we sing them, and even then it's normally just a matter of playing the song when one team calls a time out in the final minutes. With that in mind, it wouldn't be feasible to get the lyrics up on the video boards in that short amount of time. Plus, while our Hey Baby lyrics almost always mocks the opposition in a lighthearted manner, I can say with almost complete certainty that the Athletic Department wouldn't have any involvement in the spread of any lyrics mocking the opposition.

Last night's lyrics were "Hey, Hey Brandon! We wanna know, where you got that tan!" It was in reference to Nebraska center Brandon Ubel (the tall red-headed kid) who had absolutely no tan whatsoever.

The guy who holds up the signs posts here, so he'll catch your suggestion, but truthfully I think he would agree that the first priority is to make sure they are visible to the band and the student section, where the majority of the noise is made.

I wouldn't wait up for the lyrics to Hey Baby to be spread around the arena. First of all, the lyrics are normally thought up a couple minutes before we sing them, and even then it's normally just a matter of playing the song when one team calls a time out in the final minutes. With that in mind, it wouldn't be feasible to get the lyrics up on the video boards in that short amount of time. Plus, while our Hey Baby lyrics almost always mocks the opposition in a lighthearted manner, I can say with almost complete certainty that the Athletic Department wouldn't have any involvement in the spread of any lyrics mocking the opposition.

A little clever mixing on the master board could help. You ought to pick out the top few singers and group them around a mike.

BTW, given the a cappella last night (was their name really "Bare Naked Statues"? I wish I could have seen the U. President's face when that was announced), I couldn't tell if it had been fixed, but y'all need to remix the levels on the National Anthem. When the brass does the descant at the end, it drowns out the main melody and sounds kind of creepy, at least in the seats on the other side of the arena from the band.

A little clever mixing on the master board could help. You ought to pick out the top few singers and group them around a mike.

BTW, given the a cappella last night (was their name really "Bare Naked Statues"? I wish I could have seen the U. President's face when that was announced), I couldn't tell if it had been fixed, but y'all need to remix the levels on the National Anthem. When the brass does the descant at the end, it drowns out the main melody and sounds kind of creepy, at least in the seats on the other side of the arena from the band.

Good advice. By the way, the Bare Naked Statues have had a strong presence on campus for several years going back at least to my freshman or sophomore year at SLU (I started at SLU in August of 2002), so I'd think Fr. Biondi had to have heard of them at some point in time. Just in case anyone here doesn't know, there is/was a band named Bare Naked Ladies, so combine that name with the several naked statues on campus and there you go.

The sound board is done by someone with Chaifetz/SLU, so we don't do that ourselves, but every once in a while we hear that certain instruments sound too loud or too soft in the stadium mix, and thus mic volumes need to be adjusted.