Short Update

RB2.0

All,

As someone who only visits this board during the season, I (along with many others who only patrol the board during the same months), would like your expert opinions on how we will be this year, who the leaders (both scoring and emotionally) will be, and what the general outlook is for the season given the schedule, coach, and new recruits.

Thanks guys.

All,

As someone who only visits this board during the season, I (along with many others who only patrol the board during the same months), would like your expert opinions on how we will be this year, who the leaders (both scoring and emotionally) will be, and what the general outlook is for the season given the schedule, coach, and new recruits.

Thanks guys.

"Expert opinions"?!!! :unsure::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay, I'll bite.

The Billikens will be the youngest team in Div. I, having no seniors and only one junior, who's basically a preferred walk-on and is out with a knee injury. The team comprises four sophomores and six freshmen. Besides that, the freshman we were most counting on, Cody Ellis, is not with the team because he has yet to be cleared by the NCAA Clearinghouse.

In my opinion, this will be a building year, and though I'm excited to watch this team — which has more athleticism and possibly more skill than ever — develop, I'm not expecting much. Around .500 and possibly playing a road game in the first round of the conference tournament, though I wouldn't be surprised if they finish between #5 and #8 and get to host their first-round game. (A first-round bye would be a shock, and not qualifying for the conference tournament would be a major letdown.) They're building towards next year, when I expect them to make the NCAA Tournament, barring a departure from one of the major cogs.

As for leadership, it's Kwamain Mitchell's team. He is co-captain, along with Paul Eckerle, who might not be able to play this season. I think Willie Reed will be the secondary offensive option, and Ellis, when he arrives, may become the third weapon. I don't anticipate any other double-digit scorers, but Femi John and Brian Conklin may approach that.

Okay, I'll bite.

The Billikens will be the youngest team in Div. I, having no seniors and only one junior, who's basically a preferred walk-on and is out with a knee injury. The team comprises four sophomores and six freshmen. Besides that, the freshman we were most counting on, Cody Ellis, is not with the team because he has yet to be cleared by the NCAA Clearinghouse.

In my opinion, this will be a building year, and though I'm excited to watch this team — which has more athleticism and possibly more skill than ever — develop, I'm not expecting much. Around .500 and possibly playing a road game in the first round of the conference tournament, though I wouldn't be surprised if they finish between #5 and #8 and get to host their first-round game. (A first-round bye would be a shock, and not qualifying for the conference tournament would be a major letdown.) They're building towards next year, when I expect them to make the NCAA Tournament, barring a departure from one of the major cogs.

As for leadership, it's Kwamain Mitchell's team. He is co-captain, along with Paul Eckerle, who might not be able to play this season. I think Willie Reed will be the secondary offensive option, and Ellis, when he arrives, may become the third weapon. I don't anticipate any other double-digit scorers, but Femi John and Brian Conklin may approach that.

This is perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Thicks. Going to try to be at the preseason game this Saturday...

Okay, I'll bite.

I agree with your written comments but I must say that this is the most difficult team to categorize in terms of predicted wins that I can remember. I do think that CS will be a key because I see him as a possible additional scorer and defender who can give us a lot of what we got from Kevin--not that he will be as good as Kevin as a freshman. We will need KM to be a lot better shooter than we saw in the first game. I am confident he will be a strong leader. Femi will also really need to step up because he is one of the "old hands" and his toughness along with that of Brian will help us compete with the bigger teams. Willie will be better, maybe much better, and we will need him to stay in the game as long as he can but come out when he is tired because we cannot afford for him to get tired fouls. Kyle will need to be a steady hand and he must shoot the ball well and pull the trigger when open. Then you throw in JS, JJ, CR and JR--all complete unknowns but each with some potential to contribute this year and the prediction business is pretty difficult.

With CE here from the start of the season I would have thought we would be a pretty good team by February and would be at least mid pack in the conference--difinitely a winning record and possibly a post season berth in the third or fourth tier events. Now I think our young kids are going to really have to play well to reach that prediction. It is not out of the realm of possibility but it may be a stretch.

"Expert opinions"?!!! :(:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay, I'll bite.

Good comments, Thicks.

At the same time, I just don't see double digit scoring from BC. Alot has been mentioned about his loss of body fat/increase of muscle. Frankly, I didn't think he had any type of weight problem or body fat problem last year. Could he have increased his muscle? Yes, but all Frosh need to do that. Has he increased his muscle? Yes, but during the exhibition game, he looked alot like the BC from last year. Don't get me wrong. I like BC, I am glad he added muscle and worked on his conditioning, but unless he develops better moves under the basket and/or can hit that 10-15 footer, I see him only scoring 6 to 8 points per game - most of them junk baskets from his fighting for the ball. I don't seem him scoring in double digits or being our third option.

FJ. Again, I hope Nate's comments about his overall game being good and his outside shot from the summer both hold true. He played well in the exhibition game. His strength and size are good. His ability to play defense will earn him minutes. At the same time, we will need scoring. I sure hope he does. While an obvious statement, it is much easier to hit 3's at Simon Center in July than it is during the conference and on-the-road during real games.

IMO, a combination of guys should pick-up the scoring and rebounding lost by the graduation of TL but CS (or someone else) will need to replace the scoring of KL. That will be the test. Remember, it seemed like half of KL's points last year came from FT's at the end of games. I recall many games where KL only had 8 or 9 points but then ended up with 16 or so points due to his demanding the ball and dribbling/holding it until he got fouled. FJ does not appear to be KL's replacement in this regard. JR seems like it will take him awhile to adjust. IMO, that really leaves the weight upon CS. If no one can really replace KL, then teams will focus on KM and most likely succeed in slowing down his scoring. Last year they couldn't do this with KL - and even TL - demanding so much attention.