reality people

floridaguy

Just reading over some of the posts esp about soccer, basketball expectations and could not help but wonder, does anybody think that Florida St, Miami, Michigan and Notre Dame football all went in the tank overnight. Something happened there along the way and it was not all coaching. Other schools sunk money into the lucrative BCS system and folks caught up, TCU, Cincinnati, Iowa, Boise St to name a few. The same thing is happening on a lesser scale in soccer. How do we think Indiana and Kentucky basketball feel, they have endured some pretty tough ones recently. SLU has not kept up, teams have come up in facilities, scholarships, coaches and have become hot places, along with the cities they recruit from. Tulsa and Akron are just a few to mention. Just ready to start some discussion! It aint all coaching folks!

Just reading over some of the posts esp about soccer, basketball expectations and could not help but wonder, does anybody think that Florida St, Miami, Michigan and Notre Dame football all went in the tank overnight. Something happened there along the way and it was not all coaching. Other schools sunk money into the lucrative BCS system and folks caught up, TCU, Cincinnati, Iowa, Boise St to name a few. The same thing is happening on a lesser scale in soccer. How do we think Indiana and Kentucky basketball feel, they have endured some pretty tough ones recently. SLU has not kept up, teams have come up in facilities, scholarships, coaches and have become hot places, along with the cities they recruit from. Tulsa and Akron are just a few to mention. Just ready to start some discussion! It aint all coaching folks!

I'm going to VOM, as the bastard ass hag chicks say these days. Nothing to do w/ your post, despite my having found it to be quite verbose and inconsequential. I'm mostly just hammered.

I'm going to VOM, as the bastard ass hag chicks say these days. Nothing to do w/ your post, despite my having found it to be quite verbose and inconsequential. I'm mostly just hammered.

Please excuse Jimbo's response to your semi legit question, but he's been in a funk, alcohol induced mostly, since the marriage of his dream girl to another man.

Welcome aboard. Please post more.

As to the facilities, SLU has done alot over the last 15 years. Not that long ago, SLU soccer kids had to pile in cars and drive off-campus for an available public field. I recall them practicing at Forest Park on the same fields that would regularly get torn-up by SLUH football (high school) practices and the like. Games then were played at the Soccer Park which, while a very nice facility, required a long drive and was not "on-campus." Attendance was difficult/poor. Now, SLU has a beautiful soccer-only practice field right next to Hermann Stadium which no longer has artificial turf, has had improvements and additional seating. A year ago, SLU soccer players started being able to lift weights and use the training facilities at Chaveitz -- which is truly a first class facility. During this time frame, SLU now has a paid assistant coach for the first time.

Does SLU need to continue the upgrades? Of course. Does SLU have the best soccer facilities in the country? No, but they are not bad either and certainly no longer embarrasing.

Maybe some of the kids themselvs are to be blamed - not playing the game as instructed and improving/developing. Usually, when expectations are not obtained, there is plenty of blame to go around. At the same time, the head coach is the one recruiting/coaching these same kids. Blame in team sports usually falls upon the coach and not the players.

Believe your comments about increased competition or "parity" are well taken. At the same time, few/if any are demanding National Titles - much less 10 straight. The 60'/70's are over. Yes. But SLU has had success since then too. Regularly making the Tourney and a good/deep run every 4 years seems realistic even with the modern day parity. With the lower talent levels of the Soph and Jr class, this is an important year with some better Seniors to lead the team.