Representin' in the NYC -- plus Jerry Strange '63

bonwich

Just spent a bit in Manhattan, including two days walking around in my Billiken t-shirt. Went into a wine store in SoHo, and both guys in there go into the "what the hell is a Billiken?" routine. One of them had gone to Wake Forest and was there when we barely lost to them in the NCAAs.

On the way home sat on the plane next to the wife of Jerry Strange, whom she said played under Benington and went to the NIT one year (which I assume was probably '60-'61, when they had a very good record). Any of you altecockers remember Strange? [Edit: We went in both '60-'61 and '62-'63; Strange would have played in the latter season.]

Just spent a bit in Manhattan, including two days walking around in my Billiken t-shirt. Went into a wine store in SoHo, and both guys in there go into the "what the hell is a Billiken?" routine. One of them had gone to Wake Forest and was there when we barely lost to them in the NCAAs.

On the way home sat on the plane next to the wife of Jerry Strange, whom she said played under Benington and went to the NIT one year (which I assume was probably '60-'61, when they had a very good record). Any of you altecockers remember Strange? [Edit: We went in both '60-'61 and '62-'63; Strange would have played in the latter season.]

I do recall that he went to CBC and played on the 1960 state championship team.

Strange was an interesting story. He played and was a pretty good player and then due to issues that were never really explained he dropped off or was kicked off the team. He remained in school and played in the intramural leagues. He had a temper and was hard competitor. I played against him and it was really old school with a lot of elbows, shoves, etc.

I also remember Strange. I don't remember him being a big contributor to the team although I may be wrong there. I do remember the '62-'63 team had a sixth man who was one the best in Billiken history, Johnny Smith. He was a very accurate shooter.

I do recall that he went to CBC and played on the 1960 state championship team.

Although I didn't go to CBC, I attended a rival HS during the same general timeframe. JS was the starting point guard (not called that back then) for two CBC state championship teams, 1959 and 1960, both of which were coached by former Billiken great, D.C. Wilcutt. As I recall JS, he was a great passer, usually in the middle of Wilcutt's famed three-man fast breaks. (side note; I'm continually amazed that today's college players have no idea how to run a fast break).

JS came to SLU with his classmate, Garry Garrison, a 2-time All-State player, about 6'8"-6'9". I remember Garrison never fulfilling his promise as the best recruit of that era due to breaking his leg, while dunking a ball either in pre-game warmups or while at practice.

fyi, for you soccer buffs, Strange was also a great soccer player and played on some local teams (I think St. Paul) that won national championships. I seem to recall that he also played QB on the CBC football team-quite an athlete!