Arena bit...

From Linda Tucci's latest column:

All aboard: St. Louis University is bringing in Bob Clark's Clayco Construction as design and construction manager on its planned $70 million arena. The arena still will be built by Alberici, says Kathleen Brady, a vice president of the university.

Construction projects typically are overseen by the university facilities staff. The added layer of oversight, she says, stems from "an abundance of caution."

"We underestimated just how big and complex this project is and that no one here had built anything remotely of this scale. The last thing that I wanted was something to go wrong on my watch," Brady says.

The move also plays nice with important donors. Clark, like John Alberici, is on SLU's board of trustees.

Although the arena project seems to be behind schedule, as initially stated, there does seem to be a lot of planning and thought going into it which is very encouraging - 'measure twice, cut once.'

I am disappointed that the arena isn't on schedule (knowingly so), but SLU has many projects. The health science research building is probably more important to the U's national academic stature, but the arena will provide more fun for us sports fans.

I really think Fr. Biondi has foresight and will proportionally move SLU forward in all areas.