Road games....

alameda bob

Of all the great places to visit on this year's away schedule, my favorite town, besides Springfield, MO. (joking) would be New Orleans. The Big Easy, Nawleans, #1 food, music, fun town in America in my book. Last time I was there I took the St. Charles trolley out of the french quarter, past the beautiful garden district to the Tulane campus. Is anybody going down? Too bad the game wasn't last week to enjoy Mardi Gras along with a Bills victory.

My other question to those of you in SL. I see where you also have Mardi Gras parades now. When did that start? What are they like? All I remember when I lived there was the Veiled Prophet parade. Is that still happening? What time of the year?

I hope that is not too many questions for one post. Thanks.

There will be a fairly large contingent of Billiken fans in the stands tomorrow night at Fogelmann Arena as this is the annual sponsors trip. You are right, it is a great place to go for an out-of-town game. Their basketball facility is much like a high school gym. Their baseball complex, on the other hand, is first rate. Acme Oyster Bar for lunch tomorrow!!

St. Louis has the 2nd biggest Mardi Gras celebration in the US, behind New Orleans. The parade is nuts, with many women baring parts that they would normally keep concealed, and though many arrests are supposedly made, many underaged college kids have no trouble getting very much inebriated and enjoying themselves in the streets with the aforementioned women.

back in the 60's when I first went to 2 Mardi Gras and a Sugar Bowl (Mizzou beat Florida) in huge old Tulane Stadium, I also discoverd Preservation Hall jazz and Pat O'Brians dual grand pianos, with the hurrricane fueled crowds singing every known college fight song and he waiter catching coins thrown up on his tray. More fun than Gaslight Square back home, so glad to hear SL is partying on now. Enjoy the oysters everyone.

I wish Gaslight Square was still around. I'm too young to have known its heydey, but my Granddad was the president of the St. Louis Jazz club and we've got a bunch of records of Singleton Palmer recorded at gaslight. My dad was always a special guest for Sing and the gang, so he got to sit up front. The guys played at my Grandpa's funeral. At least, those that were still alive did. In any case, I wish we still had a place to go hear some great jazz.

The area that was once the site of Gaslight Square will soon be home to a new development of urban-style homes built by some of St. Louis' finest homebuilders. There will be a small retail component, but it will be primarily residential. It's great news for the CWE/Midtown area.

I would have preferred to restore the original Gaslight Square buildings and combine them with architecturally compatible infill, but this will be the next best thing.