Guy Phillips '08-'09

kevinfootes

I was asked to sit down also with about 5 minutes left, I just laughed and told the guy to stand up himself. He said his dad was to old to stand, I'm in the front row, so I offered to let him have my seats and I'd move back a row to his. His dad could see and I could stand he declined, I stayed standing.

Skip, maybe you could have broken the old guy's cane too. ;)

we should all start yelling "correction" whenever guy says it. maybe eventually the powers to be will realize that the fans know he is a total fu.

I think the trends are heading in the right direction for that to happen. I'm looking forward to it.

I'll be sure to thank the older alums for carrying us through all those years...as soon as they wake up. Wouldn't want to interrupt nap time. I have to assume that's what's going on, anyway, when I see the older folks sitting their with their arms crossed and heads tilted down a little bit and not moving at all.

The younger fans, like me, weren't around during the worst years. Had I gone to SLU back then, I would have done my part. I got on board as a kid watching Claggett, Highmark, and Waldman and haven't looked back. I don't really care how bad we used to be and neither should the old folks. They should be excited about the current state of things and where we're headed.

Plus, $450 a ticket is a lot for us young alums to throw down for a season of SLU games. If we're going to invest that kind of scratch, we want a vibrant atmosphere to go with the on-court product.

If it weren't for the "old" alums, you'd be standing to your heart's content at the Historic Bauman Eberhadt Center watching D2 hoops.

Years of playing in cavernous buildings with only 20 students per game while the aging alumni dominated the landscape has a way of doing that. When the older guys/gals feel outnumbered, the band becomes too loud, it is harder to hear the guys next to because of the fans, the youngsters stand too much and now the walk to the games is too long, the average age of the fans will decrease. All younger fans, though, should remember to thank the old-timers who loyally supported our team for years and years with little success and kept buying tickets to keep the lights on.

Amen to that. There are a lot of bandwagon jumping younger fans now coming to the game who don't appreciate that fact. I am 28 but know how hard it can be for older people to get up-down and stand for long periods. I'm not saying people should never stand, I still do at key moments.

But to those who say you should stand the whole game or you are not a 'real fan'.....I say grow up.