more on the radio deal

kevinfootes

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/co...99?OpenDocument

If you read to the bottom it mentions that 590 has re-entered the picutre. Here's hoping the games will be broadcast on a station you can hear when driving beneath an overpass.

Interesting - I guess 590 realized that they do get something from having the Bills on their station. I know others are unhappy with 590 but I think having them air commercials throughout the season saying they are the voice of the Billikens has some real value. After reading about what 101 plans to do I have serious doubts if that is the best place for us to be.

Interesting - I guess 590 realized that they do get something from having the Bills on their station. I know others are unhappy with 590 but I think having them air commercials throughout the season saying they are the voice of the Billikens has some real value. After reading about what 101 plans to do I have serious doubts if that is the best place for us to be.

Most people believe this market can't support 3 all-sport stations. The betting would be that 590 is the loser. Just let Frank and Ramsey go to 101 and we'll all be happy.

Most people believe this market can't support 3 all-sport stations. The betting would be that 590 is the loser. Just let Frank and Ramsey go to 101 and we'll all be happy.

I am not sure why you think 590 will be the loser - I do agree that we don't need 3 sports stations that was tried already and it failed, 590, 1380, 1190- They have a much clearer signal than 1380 and are higher profile in the area. Having Stull and Dailey is certainly not going to make me want to listen to them over another station. Burwell is fine but he mostly covers pro sports and RK - he is just none factor to me when it comes to college sports. I kind of think 1380 will be the loser. I know they have BM but he will jump ship at some point and 590 signing Frank is big committment. Slaten on 1380 will also flame out - give him enough time - their signing him showed how desperate they are.

I am not sure why you think 590 will be the loser - I do agree that we don't need 3 sports stations that was tried already and it failed, 590, 1380, 1190- They have a much clearer signal than 1380 and are higher profile in the area. Having Stull and Dailey is certainly not going to make me want to listen to them over another station. Burwell is fine but he mostly covers pro sports and RK - he is just none factor to me when it comes to college sports. I kind of think 1380 will be the loser. I know they have BM but he will jump ship at some point and 590 signing Frank is big committment. Slaten on 1380 will also flame out - give him enough time - their signing him showed how desperate they are.

101 has the signal. 1380 has the talent. You might not like Slaten but his advertisers must. I don't think it is an accident that Frank is the only one on 590 that has a contract past the first of the year. As Frank would say I would be willing to bet you a milkshake as to which one goes.

All three (3) have some top-level broadcasting talent but management, ownership deep pockets and signal strength varies greatly among them. My guess is that since 101 has the best signal, they have the potential for the greatest revenue and with the greatest revenue can pay to lure more top-local talent. On-air talent is easier to change than the other items. At the same time, 101 is too expensive to run with the same die-hard crowd simply shifted from AM to FM.