OT: Cubs Lose

The best team in the NL went out with a whimper. Maybe year 101 will be better!

correction: not the best team. they had the best record. as my brother said today in chicago:

"Ah, the air smells fresher today, my coffee more stimulating than ever, even the barks of the beasts belonging to my visiting friends sound like a child's laughter. What a glorious day to see the anger and the sorrow of cub fans. "

The best team in the NL went out with a whimper. Maybe year 101 will be better!

Heard Cub fans all year:

"WOW, amazing, we won the World Series in 1908, and now, EXACTLY 100 years later, in 2008, we are going to win the World Series again! WOW. AMAZING".

Laughing my ass off, now...

Heard Cub fans all year:

"WOW, amazing, we won the World Series in 1908, and now, EXACTLY 100 years later, in 2008, we are going to win the World Series again! WOW. AMAZING".

Laughing my ass off, now...

Cubs fans don't have enough experience with the playoffs to understand its nothing but a crapshoot. Doesn't matter how many games you won during the regular season, anybody can win once they are in. It was indeed a sweet weekend watching the Cubs go down and the tuck-it out Brewers do the same. Wonder how they'll feel about the CC trade 3 years from now when those prospects they traded are leading Cleveland to the playoffs while making the league minimum!

wow. have some sympathy for cubs fans. but if you ask most true cubs fans. we will all say in the back of our minds we saw this coming

I especially love the talk about how the bars around Wrigley were supposed to stop serving alcohol in games when the Cubs clinched. I figured the Cubs were done as soon as I read about that.

I do think they had the best talent in the NL this year. That makes it even more fun.

The best analysis I heard was from Joe Sheehan. His take on t he playoff's was that 1-25 the Cubs had the best roster, this is what allowed them to win so many regular season games. He said that 1-10 virtually every team was at least as good as the Cubs and that is why he was picking the Dodgers to win the series. The whole marathon vs. sprint idea.

That said Cubs suck. :angry:

The best analysis I heard was from Joe Sheehan. His take on t he playoff's was that 1-25 the Cubs had the best roster, this is what allowed them to win so many regular season games. He said that 1-10 virtually every team was at least as good as the Cubs and that is why he was picking the Dodgers to win the series. The whole marathon vs. sprint idea.

That said Cubs suck. :lol:

That is a good point. One of the real strengths of the Cubs was their starting piching which had a very strong Lilly as your defacto 4 and even Marquis had decent numbers, much better than your normal 5th starter. Since you really only need 3 pitchers these days in the playoffs, that advantage was negated. Zambrano going to crap since the start of August only further negated the problem.

The same can be said fo their outfied as they had good depth, enough to overcome Soriano injuries and Edmonds getting old with guys like Reed Johnson, Derosa, etc. In a short series those guys didn't have a lot of value and why Lou thought Fukodome was worthy of two starts is amazing. He must have looked at the all-star balloting when filling out his line-up card.

Cubs still suck.

That is a good point. One of the real strengths of the Cubs was their starting piching which had a very strong Lilly as your defacto 4 and even Marquis had decent numbers, much better than your normal 5th starter. Since you really only need 3 pitchers these days in the playoffs, that advantage was negated. Zambrano going to crap since the start of August only further negated the problem.

The same can be said fo their outfied as they had good depth, enough to overcome Soriano injuries and Edmonds getting old with guys like Reed Johnson, Derosa, etc. In a short series those guys didn't have a lot of value and why Lou thought Fukodome was worthy of two starts is amazing. He must have looked at the all-star balloting when filling out his line-up card.

Cubs still suck.

Cubs are the French Army of baseball...

That may be the cruelest thing ever said about anyone or thing in the history of this board!

Cubs owner is interested in selling out; he had big offers after they got through June. Will Edmonds and Zambrano be able to repeat/

Will they want to keep building the team; they have been throwing serious money at this problem for the last 10 years and they go out in 3 games

At least Edmonds got his World Series ring before he got too old