Izik Ohanon

Iggy

Why can't he seem to finish at the hoop. His moves and his first steps are awesome, then he misses the one or two footer. Earl Austin on radio says that he just seems to 'throw it up there' rather than have any 'touch'. If this gets fixed he could be great. If he could get just a little tougher on the finish he could jam it most of the time. Is anyone else out there seeing this?

I agree he tries to get cutesy around the hoop when he would be much better off jamming. The guy's 6'9". For some reason over the past 5-6 years SLU's bigs seem reluctant to take it strong to the hole. Granted we may not have had the most athletic bigs, but they certainly were tall enough to do it. The other thing about IO is how good is his midrange jump shot? He never seem to take it when he's wide open opting instead to do a finger roll move?

>>The other thing about IO is how good is his midrange jump shot? He never seem to take it when he's wide open opting instead to do a finger roll move?<<

I think that is the main mystery with Izik as pointed out by SLU72. Ok, the guy is not strong around the hoop. If so, then when he blows by his man why doesn't he just pull up for the 5 footer instead of trying to take it to the rack against the beef? My guess is that in European ball they do not play the help defense as seen in major US college ball. He probably is in the habit of getting a layup after beating his man off the dribble. Not so at the higher levels of D1 in the US of A. Someone will always be there waiting. But Izik is in his 2nd year in the states, he should have this point figured out by now. The mechanics I have seen on his jumper look great ... this is ground control to Izik, ground control to Izik, IZIK, PULL UP, PULL UP AND POP, DON'T CRASH INTO THE TREES!!!

Based on seeing IO over a 125 times in games and practices over the past two years, imo Izik is the second best shooter on this squad. (second only to Reggie Bryant). For whatever reason, at times this year his 12-17 footer has less arch than the shot he normally shoots. Hopefully, the best of IO's game production is yet to come!

He will get more touch with some shoots.

Who is the big man coach? A little coaching on how to find angles and use the board will help him a bunch.

Another thought, You have to make move not just get the ball and think for 2 seconds then go. He is like Charles Barkley right now. He holds the ball to long before he moves.

I see the light at the end of the tunel. the switch is going to come on and he will start to score and be the 2nd scorer we are looking for.

>>I see the light at the end of the tunel. the switch is going to come on and he will start to score and be the 2nd scorer we are looking for.<<

We have seen flashes of it ... but nothing consistent. This would be a great time for Izik to give us a boost. He has been getting consistent minutes night-in night-out for the first time in his Billiken career so maybe that shall contribute to up the learning curve.

I think most of the problem can be tied to comments by the coaches about his lack of experience playing 5 on 5. Early in the year he would beat his man off the dribble and then attack the middle--where he either was called for the charge or turned the ball over. recently, he is playing more under control and does not just bowl over the defender. But he often gets to 2-4 feet from the basket and he is stopped by the help defender. He could not jam without getting a charge called on him so he resorts to the finger roll.

He is athletic enough to make it work but he needs a little more experience and confidence. I also think that he might benefit from developint a Bill Walton type bank shot from 4-6 feet out. At times he seems to have a nice touch and it was his play, almost single handed, that took teams out of the zone in some games. He is a dangerous player in the middle against the zone because he can get and make the mid range shot. I think he will get better and we will love him before it is aoo over!!

>I think most of the problem can be tied to comments by the

>coaches about his lack of experience playing 5 on 5. Early

>in the year he would beat his man off the dribble and then

>attack the middle--where he either was called for the charge

>or turned the ball over. recently, he is playing more under

>control and does not just bowl over the defender. But he

>often gets to 2-4 feet from the basket and he is stopped by

>the help defender. He could not jam without getting a charge

>called on him so he resorts to the finger roll.

>

>He is athletic enough to make it work but he needs a little

>more experience and confidence. I also think that he might

>benefit from developint a Bill Walton type bank shot from

>4-6 feet out. At times he seems to have a nice touch and it

>was his play, almost single handed, that took teams out of

>the zone in some games. He is a dangerous player in the

>middle against the zone because he can get and make the mid

>range shot. I think he will get better and we will love him

>before it is aoo over!!

he just needs to charge to the basket and score! don't stop!!!