OT: Women tie North Korea in World Cup Opener

Postcard

http://cbs.sportsline.com/soccer/story/10345403/1

Maybe not the result we were looking for but North Korea is the Asian champ. We're definitely in the toughest group. From the description it sounds like St. Louisan Lori Chalupny had a good chance. Hopefully we can get the win against Sweden on Friday.

I have a 3 week old baby, so i was actually up watching the game. Frankly, the USWNT was outplayed and North Korea controlled the game. Chalupny had a great chance but sent it over the net from about 8 yards out. It wasn't one she necessarily should have scored, but she definitely needed to put it on frame. Our goalie also gifted N. Korea the first goal as the N. Korea shot went through our keeper's hands. It was a rainy mess, but the keeper has got to make that save. She had no chance on the other goal.

Finally, I wish the USMNT had an Abby Wambach. That lady is great. She is McBride with better on-the-ball skills.

I have a 3 week old baby, so i was actually up watching the game. Frankly, the USWNT was outplayed and North Korea controlled the game. Chalupny had a great chance but sent it over the net from about 8 yards out. It wasn't one she necessarily should have scored, but she definitely needed to put it on frame. Our goalie also gifted N. Korea the first goal as the N. Korea shot went through our keeper's hands. It was a rainy mess, but the keeper has got to make that save. She had no chance on the other goal.

Finally, I wish the USMNT had an Abby Wambach. That lady is great. She is McBride with better on-the-ball skills.

Congrats on the new baby! It sounds like Wambach got banged up pretty bad and we were playing a woman down for some time. Do you know how long she was out? It sounds like that's when NK scored both their goals.

Congrats on the new baby! It sounds like Wambach got banged up pretty bad and we were playing a woman down for some time. Do you know how long she was out? It sounds like that's when NK scored both their goals.

Many thanks. She was out for about 8-10 minutes with a cut on her head (bumped heads with opponent on N. Korea corner kick) and that is when N. Korea scored both goals. I don't know if they stitched her up or not, but we definitely fell apart during the time she was out.

This was really the worst that i had seen the USWNT look. Sloppy passing, sloppy defending...they looked messy and outclassed. North Korea was very good.

I was up watching also. She was out about 10-15 minutes it seemed. They got both goals while Abby was out. Hope made an error, but she is a fantastic keeper. She made a couple of very nice saves and 1 at the end of the game that there may not be another womens keep in the world that makes the save. Brianna was good, but Hope is much more athletic.

The draw is a joke. The USA always seems to get the tough draws. The 1st, 3rd, and 5th ranked team all in the same group ... Coincidence?

The USA played a 4-3-3 which left the midfield wide open for Korea to control the play. Though they had more possessions they didn't have more real scoring chances. They did do a gret job of realizing the ball was wet, slippery, and skipping off the grass. They shot from anywhere on the field. It was a great game .... I think both teams should be happy and unhappy with the tie. Both teams had opportunties to put the other away. The USA got lucky with the Swedes tie with Nigeria

Many thanks. She was out for about 8-10 minutes with a cut on her head (bumped heads with opponent on N. Korea corner kick) and that is when N. Korea scored both goals. I don't know if they stitched her up or not, but we definitely fell apart during the time she was out.

This was really the worst that i had seen the USWNT look. Sloppy passing, sloppy defending...they looked messy and outclassed. North Korea was very good.

she said she got 2 stitches. She also said ... No problem with the stitches except for the speed in which they got done

I was up watching also. She was out about 10-15 minutes it seemed. They got both goals while Abby was out. Hope made an error, but she is a fantastic keeper. She made a couple of very nice saves and 1 at the end of the game that there may not be another womens keep in the world that makes the save. Brianna was good, but Hope is much more athletic.

The draw is a joke. The USA always seems to get the tough draws. The 1st, 3rd, and 5th ranked team all in the same group ... Coincidence?

The USA played a 4-3-3 which left the midfield wide open for Korea to control the play. Though they had more possessions they didn't have more real scoring chances. They did do a gret job of realizing the ball was wet, slippery, and skipping off the grass. They shot from anywhere on the field. It was a great game .... I think both teams should be happy and unhappy with the tie. Both teams had opportunties to put the other away. The USA got lucky with the Swedes tie with Nigeria

I agree skip, the draw is an absolute joke. Would they put Brazil, Italy and Germany in the same group on the men's side?

I will disagree with one thing, i think N. Korea clearly had more scoring chances and Solo made a ridiculous save in the 93rd/94th minute. Definitely made up for her blunder (and she's easier on the eyes than Scurry).

I agree with you that both teams should be happy and unhappy.

I agree skip, the draw is an absolute joke. Would they put Brazil, Italy and Germany in the same group on the men's side?

I will disagree with one thing, i think N. Korea clearly had more scoring chances and Solo made a ridiculous save in the 93rd/94th minute. Definitely made up for her blunder (and she's easier on the eyes than Scurry).

I agree with you that both teams should be happy and unhappy.

How do they figure out the draw? Why would they put three top 5 teams in the same group? That doesn't make any sense.

How do they figure out the draw? Why would they put three top 5 teams in the same group? That doesn't make any sense.

If it's like the mens side, they figure out the draw by drawing. I think there is some sort of seeding for the top teams, but they ought to seed it all the way down, or at least for the top 2 in each group. 1 A level team, 1 B level team and then an open draw.

I will disagree again about real scoring chances, I'd call them pretty even. North Korea controlled possession, I'd guess 60-40, but scoring chances were pretty close.

who is the player with the full arm sleeve tat? That should send the "bad ass" message to the other players! ;)

Natasha Kai. She's a very athletic and aggressive forward with a lot speed. She's dangerous in open space. I was surprised she didn't come in earlier, and when she did, I was surprised it was for Heather O'Reilly. The game was pretty fast paced and we could have used her speed to counter attack. I thought she would have come in for K. Lilly. I was also suprised we didn't see Ally Wagner especially when it was clear we were having trouble stringing together passes.

As long as I get to see Julie Foudy ... I'm good.