Reecruiting announcement today(not SLU).Romar/Bay Area

...but intersting for our Bay Area friends. San Jose Arch Bishop Mitty and Oakland Soldiers star power forward Drew Gordon is said to be picking his school today, 3:30pm Pacific, deciding between UCLA, Washington, Arizona, and Cal. His recruiting has been a big secret thus far.

Romar has a good shot at another one. We'll see. Big time player. the San Jose area isn't usually a hotbed for hoops(that's why he plays AAU w Oakland Soldiers)....Someone will be getting a good one this afternoon.

Thanks for the info. I don't know where he is heading, but from your post, it looks like someone in the Pac-10 is going to be very happy today, and 3 others will be the opposite. Again, I have no info, but how could he pick against the UCLA tradition?

I've never seen Drew Gordon play, but I have read and heard that he is a star. I have 2 nephews that attend Bellarmine, one of Mitty's rivals. Gordon's high school team lost the Division 2 state championship game in OT to Santa Ana Mater Dei. That Mater Dei team was loaded this year.

Drew Gordon is a 6'8" PF. I read that he is a high school Junior right now. His Dad played for San Diego State.

The UCLA boards seem to indicate that Washington is in the lead, but also say that some UW elements think UCLA is in the lead. He was quoted as saying he wants a "laid back" coach, which UCLA people think will rule out the Bruins. I don't think Cal's Ben Braun would be considered a "laid back" coach either.

Also, I read that Duke is in the running too, along with the 4 Pac-10 schools.

Interestingly, no WCC schools are mentioned at all, including back yard Santa Clara and SCU's new coach, the former UCLA assistant, nor Gonzaga.

So he picks between a 45-60 minute car drive (Cal), a 5 hour drive or 1 hour flight (UCLA), a 2 hour flight to the land of rain and evergreen (UW), a 2+ hour flight into the desert (U of A), or a cross-country flight with a 3 hour time difference to Tobacco Road.

I hope he doesn't pick Duke. At minimum, this type of player needs to be kept somewhere on the West Coast.

>

>Interestingly, no WCC schools are mentioned at all,

>including back yard Santa Clara and SCU's new coach, the

>former UCLA assistant, nor Gonzaga.

>

no disrespect if you're a SCU fan but why would any WCC school, other than Gonzaga, be mentioned? It would be a like Horizon schools being mentioned with Big Ten schools ("I'm down to Michigan, Indiana, Detroit and Valpo - who is joining the Horizon, BTW). The WCC is a fine conference, all are great schools, but other than Gonzaga, they're mid-major at best and not going to get the cream of the crop on the west coast.

I don't dispute your point re the WCC.

Really I only mention this because Mitty is a Catholic high school right in Santa Clara's backyard, and right down the freeways from USF and St. Mary's. It would be like a star player from say a Dubourg or St. Mary's HS in St. Louis that was not recruited by SLU. And Santa Clara just hired a new coach and is supposed to be making more of a financial commitment to its basketball program.

I would hope that our SLU Billikens under Rick Majerus will not be taking second fiddle to Mizzou, and I don't think SLU will be. Likewise, if a program like say Santa Clara is going to improve, it needs to be able to recruit its own turf, at least against Cal. UCLA is another story in the college pecking order.

A case in point is that of Cal's Theo Robertson, who is from DeLaSalle HS. He was heavily recruited his Senior high school season by Santa Clara and St. Mary's. Then at the last minute Cal swooped in and signed him.

I'm sure he was recruited by them and those schools were likely the first in on him. However, once the big boys come in (UCLA, Cal, Stanford) those smaller profile schools get pushed to the wayside. A lot of times Scout or Rivals will have kids with long lists and what is noticed is offers from smaller programs (one I saw today had offers from Davis and St. Mary's) but no acceptance because they're waiting for the majors to notice them.

>per the UCLA board, and posters say it is confirmed.

>

>I think he did the prudent thing. UCLA's Coach Ben Howland

>is an excellent coach.

>

>This is a major recruiting victory for the Bruins.

Nothing new for Howland. Getting Kevin Love was a MAJOR coup, more so than Gordon. That kid is going to be a force from day 1.

That guy looks like a superstar. Love is a high school Senior, 6'9" 260, whereas Drew Gordon is a Junior. I just read that Love averaged 33.6 PPG. Once they both get to UCLA, they might be playing together for at least a while. Gordon will evidently be allowed to play his natural power forward position at UCLA.

Howland may have a new UCLA dynasty in the making in Westwood.

And note that although both of these guys are from the West Coast, Love from Lake Oswego, Oregon and Gordon from NorCal (San Jose), neither are from UCLA's recruiting base in the LA Southland.

The rich get richer.

>That guy looks like a superstar. Love is a high school

>Senior, 6'9" 260, whereas Drew Gordon is a Junior. I just

>read that Love averaged 33.6 PPG. Once they both get to

>UCLA, they might be playing together for at least a while.

>Gordon will evidently be allowed to play his natural power

>forward position at UCLA.

>

>Howland may have a new UCLA dynasty in the making in

>Westwood.

>

>And note that although both of these guys are from the West

>Coast, Love from Lake Oswego, Oregon and Gordon from NorCal

>(San Jose), neither are from UCLA's recruiting base in the

>LA Southland.

>

>The rich get richer.

what amazed me is that the Portland, OR area had 2 of the top 5 players in the country in Love and Singler and Oregon was not a finalist for either of them (no shock OSU wasn't).

I watched Love against an LA school (I think Mater Dei,. maybe DeLaSalle), he was sick and still dominated on both ends! The kid already has a college body and his dad, Stan, was an NBA player and has taught him proper big man fundamentals - excellent footwork, great touch with both hands, knows how to use his body to clear space, explosion off the floor. Kevin is going to be a star but I think at most he's 2 and done. The Pac-10 is going to be damn tough in future years!