Optimistic about the future...

Quest

I think if we get Montgomery, we're Dancing annually. Strong collegiate and NBA ties -- that's what recruits want. That's why kids are going back to Charlie Weis at ND and that's the pedigree Monty brings to SLU.

Montgomery's Gentry 2007-2008.

montgomery is not an immediate program changer imo. he is not that dynamic. he is a long term excellent choice, but he isnt the guy that can come in and salvage immediate recruiting projects (sign the last two spots keep relephorde and mitchell, keep the current roster).

I think that if the families of our current roster knows anything about college basketball, they will want a proven winner leading their sons to victory. That proven winner is Mike Montgomery.

He is the winningest basketball coach at Stanford. Under his leadership, Montgomery compiled an impressive 547-244 (.692) overall record in 18 years at Stanford (1986-2004) and eight seasons at the University of Montana (1978-1986). He boasts an even more impressive 25 winning seasons in his 26 years as a head coach at both Stanford and Montana. Mike Montgomery reached the NCAA tournament ten straight times from 1995-2004. Stanford reached the Final Four under Montgomery in 1998, which was the first time the school made it to the Final Four in 56 years. He made his third appearance along the USA Basketball sidelines in 2002 when he was named an assistant on George Karl's USA World Championship Team staff.

I think he would be a good choice for SLU right now. The dude is 60 years old so he isn't going to be here long term. Maybe he could at least groom a sucessor to him for 6-8 years down the road.

>I'm just not convinced that SLU is a

>high profile enough job to really interest him.

Nor am I convinced considering his last stop was the NBA. It only makes sense if he and Cheryl are tight. How about this for a senario. Cheryl has been working on Montgomery every since the season ended. After finally deciding, 'yes, I want to coach again and Cheryl is the AD I want to work for', the guy has an 11th hour epiphany and decides if he is jumping back into coaching better do it now rather than later. To hell with the consequences of doing it late. Or he named his price in March and it took Father Biondi a month to round up the cash for both the Montgomery hire and the Soderberg buyout.

Still, he's a life long west coast guy so it sounds remote to me. Something is very odd about the way this is playing itself out.