thoughts on the Brad bashing

not a one of your examples has any current success greater than coach soderberg. sure monson had his run at gonzaga and richardson at arkansas. but did minnesota prove that it was the system at gonzaga that was a success not monson? the fact no one even talks to richardson speaks volumes.

was montgomery an immediate success at stanford? i dont know the answer. wanna bet his "requirements" arent the easiest to satisfy. he wants to walk into a situation that would be stanford when he left.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Monson had a lot of success at a basketball only, Catholic school. Maybe he just wasn't a good fit in the Big 10. Montgomery? Who knows? If there isn't a lot of demand for him, he may have to lower his requirements. He also want to stay on the West Coast. Don't worry Roy, I'm not ready to run Soderberg off yet.

>Was Heinrich really "heavily" recruited in the East? I seem

>to remember him being kind of an unkown. As I recall he

>went to a very small high school.

Heinrich went to a high school close to where I grew up, probably about half an hour away.

We are roughly the same age and I knew most of the area's top players — though he wasn't from the immediate Allentown area.

I never heard of Heinrich until I moved to St. Louis.

- Nate

and not what you're making up here.

I posted that it would be a STRETCH for SLU to get a top assistant, not that "SLU couldn't even land a top assistant". I also never posted any definition of a "washout". I've also posted that Brad was the best candidate SLU had last time (along with Gregory). Several people are ready to run him out of town and think that some better candidate will be out there now. Why would you think attracting a better candidate than Brad is a slam dunk? (again, I'm not even a Brad supporter). If the top Wisonsin and Michigan State guys aren't good enough, what will be?

Before spinning this some other way, kindly acknowledge these points. Based on your history on the board, I'd bet Doc B's pension that you won't have the guts to to answer.

Other thoughts...

Nolan Richardson won a national title, Despite the ugly finish there is no way you can call him a "washout".

The KU guy is a North Texas washout, not much success. Maybe he'll succeed and maybe he won't. It's no slam dunk.

Despite RPI, I don't see why Dougherty would leave SMU for SLU. SMU is a football school, and even a bad one like that has money to throw around. I never said I liked the guy, just that the notion of him coming to SLU is remote at best.

Since you are im[lying that you're so in tune with who SLU can attract, why don't you lay out your top candidates for everyone?

Why would it be a "stretch" for SLU to land another top assistant when they already did when they got Soderberg? Your comment makes no sense. Especially considering programs worse than SLU are landing top assistants.

If the SLU job and the SMU job open up, which one is better? I'm quite sure their recent history is clearly worse than ours. Do they even care about basketball there? We had an RPI around 75 this past year. They were over 200. You really don't think much of the SLU job, do you?

I obviously don't know the numbers, but I'm willing to wager that SMU has more money to spend than SLU and isn't nearly as selective for admittance. I wouldn't base anything on 1 year of RPI either (although I'll concede that SLU typically has a higher RPI). You really underestimate the power of being in a football conference, even one that isn't very good. CUSA had a couple of good football teams that brought in money for the conference this year. Also, Dallas might be a better draw for Texas players.

6 or 7 years ago SLU had a much higher RPI than Texas A&M. Heck, SLU had a higher RPI than Washington when Lo left. Obviously, one year of RPI means very little to coaches when you consider salary, potential upside, BEING ON TV!!!!!!!!!, etc.

It's interesting that you're so down on Brad but keep doing posts about how great SLU is doing. You can't have it both ways.

I suppose we have a different definition of "top assistant", and that's okay. The last "top assistant" brought in by SLU was Brad (he did have 1 year with Lo). If you read this board 90% of the people on here think Brad needs to go. I'm not so sure you'd want to go the "top asistant" route anyway, condsiering Brad and Gregory were the top two candidates last time. but I digress. Maybe the fact that these "top assistants" are taking jobs at other "worse" schools and the best 2 candidates we had were Sodie and Gregory should tell you something about how the job is perceived.

Not all football schools care or emphasize basketball. You may be overestimating how much money they have. Read point #5 about the SMU job.

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/collegebaske...l/story/9272381

I also don't remember SMU being on tv very often or in the postseason. SLU hasn't been great, but I would say we have been consistently better than SMU for a long time. I wouldn't even want Dougherty because I don't think he's very good, but if both jobs were open at the same time, I think I know which one he would think was better.

Do you think SLU or Long Beach State is a better job?

How is the SLU job perceived? Two top assistants from the Big 10 were interested the last time the job was open, so it clearly is not a "stretch" to think top assistants would be interested. We just may not have interviewed the right top assistants. Time will tell.

I'm not interested in Dougherty either. I just don't think SLU is enticing enough to make somebody leave SMU without other matters coming into play (lousy AD, etc.). It seems like a lateral move at best and maybe a step backwards in terms of potential. You could argue the othe way, but I still don't see enough of a pull to make somebody leave one job for the other.

I'm not sure about CUSA's tv deal or what SMU had in it's local market. I only know that SLU has big trouble getting on tv and has a radio station with a weak signal.

At first glance I'd say SLU is probably better, but you never know if the West Caost would hold extra appeal for somebody like Monson who'd been successful out there before (like a Romar).

I don't disagree with what you are saying here. I wasn't taking the argument in terms of would Dougherty leave SMU for SLU. He's already done a lot of job hopping, so he would probably want to put his time in at SMU and hope that he could get a job better than SLU. I was looking at it from the perspective, if both jobs were open at the same time, which program is more appealing. Good point about Monson and I think the same would've held true for us with a guy LIKE Dougherty. A Catholic from the East Coast coaching in the A10 would seem to be more appealing. A lot of it is about where a guy is a good fit. One coach may be good at one program, but not work at another kind of program.