Ian V News

TheBand

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

March 29, 2007 Men’s Basketball Contact: Diana Koval

VOUYOUKAS TO PLAY IN PORTSMOUTH INVITATIONAL

ST. LOUIS – Saint Louis senior center Ian Vouyoukas (Athens, Greece) will participate in the 55th Annual Portsmouth Invitational Tournament April 4-7. The tournament offers the nation’s top seniors a chance to play in front of NBA and European scouts. Full rosters have not yet been announced, but also accepting invitations are Reyshawn Terry of North Carolina, Kammron Taylor of Wisconsin, Derek Raivio of Gonzaga, Zabian Dowdell of Virginia Tech, Loren Stokes of Hofstra and Valdas Vasylius of Old Dominion.

In 2006-07, Vouyoukas was the Billikens’ top rebounder with 7.4 boards per game, ranking sixth in the Atlantic 10. He scored 12.4 points per game, including netting 18 or more points in five of his last six games as a Billiken. Vouyoukas ended his college career as SLU’s all-time leading shot blocker with 135 and holds two of the top five single-season totals as well. Swatting away five shots against Ole Miss this season, he broke the Scottrade Center record for blocks in a game. He also became the program’s 22nd 1,000-point scorer with a career-high 28 points in the regular-season finale at Dayton.

The Portsmouth Invitational Tournament is the nation’s oldest amateur basketball tournament and is recognized by NBA and European scouts as the premier showcase for professional prospects. All 12 games of the tournament are played at Churchland High School in Portsmouth, Va.

I wonder if Ian will be able to keep his name on those draft boards. If he's judged by this season, not a chance in hell. But, who knows. Ryan Hollins played himself into a draft pick based on a few solid games in the NCAA tourney. If Ian can keep his head in the game for the week, he may have a shot.

The Portsmouth Invitational Tournament is the nation’s oldest amateur basketball tournament and is recognized by NBA and European scouts as the premier showcase for professional prospects.

I've never heard of it. My cousin Doug is a scout for the Spurs and I've never at any time in my life heard of this "showcase." The thing about our SID is that they build up these things like Ian just won the Showcase Showdown on the Price is Right. It's a camp for college kids held at a crummy high school gym. Get off your high horse.

Have you really not heard of it? It most certainly is one of the major pre-draft camps.

Furthermore, what the hell is ur problem?? This is a former SLU basketball player we're talking about. He always represented the school and himself with dignity. Why would you not be happy for the guy? This post makes you sound like a bitter ######.