Question for the Blue Crew

kappy96

Check out this article about colleges marketing and selling special student section t-shirts and other merchandise. Would the Blue Crew/SLU consider this or are you trying to keep the distribution of your shirts to "members only."

Sounds like some student clubs are against it and others are in support. Just curious and hoping that this discussion breaks the strangle hold on the Pro vs. Con UB threads.

Schools cheer new branding efforts

RICK ELLINGTON

Correspondent

Published February 26, 2007 : Page 27

Turn on a televised college basketball game, and one of the first things that stands out is the unbridled passion emanating from the home team’s student section. From Boston College’s Superfans to the Pit Crew at the University of Oregon, student-led groups have long identified themselves as their school’s main supporters through T-shirts and a catchy nickname.

Now, some schools are capitalizing on that enthusiasm and are beginning to market around the cheering sections, selling shirts branded with the group’s name in an effort to strengthen fans’ ties to the program.

The Oakland Zoo was created at the University of Pittsburgh six years ago as a group independent of the school, but the athletic department has since joined forces to market the troop. The name comes from the neighborhood of Pittsburgh where the university and arena are located.

Nora Duncan, assistant director of marketing and promotions at Pittsburgh, said, “It’s our goal to come up with ideas to make it a positive atmosphere, and having shirts for the Oakland Zoo is an ideal way to do that.â€

Indeed, the goal of many universities is focused more on building enthusiasm for their basketball programs than building significant new revenue streams. The schools often work with the brands that already hold their apparel deals to make new lines focused on fan sections.

This year marks the fifth season Pitt has sold the Oakland Zoo Adidas shirts. The school maintains design control, but actively involves the Zoo in the process. While Duncan would not reveal revenue specifics, she said sales “are up considerably compared to past years.â€

“They’ve really caught on with the fans,†Duncan said, “and we’ve moved on from just T-shirts to sweatshirts this year.â€

In addition to apparel, Pitt this season is branching into collectibles. The school is selling a limited-edition doll series of zoo animals — including a monkey, giraffe and polar bear — that are wearing Oakland Zoo shirts for $14.99 each.

The University of Pittsburgh sells apparel based

on “The Oakland Zoo†student section.

Other schools also have ventured into the fray. The model for all active student sections, Duke University, sells several variations of Nike Cameron Crazies T-shirts at their official bookstore, and Rick’s Rowdies shirts by Adidas have been on sale around the Mississippi State University campus in recent years. The University of Florida, the defending national champion, does not actively sell its Nike Rowdy Reptiles shirts, but it supports several giveaways underwritten by sponsors.

Despite the trend, at least one school is feeling heat for selling such items. The Izzone, a student-alumni group at Michigan State named after coach Tom Izzo, is upset at the school for trying to profit on their organization by selling the green Nike Izzone shirts often seen around the Breslin Center court.

“There has been some push back from the group to keep the shirt distinctive to them,†said Paul Schager, Michigan State associate athletic director of marketing and corporate relations. “They want to protect an item that has a high perceived value and don’t want regular fans or students to have access to it.

“We want to continue to sell the shirts, but with their participation and approval,†Schager added. “There is an interest among fans for the shirt.â€

East Lansing aside, it appears the popularity of such shirts could have an extended shelf life on campuses. Duncan said, “It represents part of the college experience. Who doesn’t want to continue living that?â€

I personally think that something like this could be beneficial to the BLUE CREW and the campus life. I think if the bookstore/Chaifetz merchandise store sold a variation of the Official BLUE CREW shirt (the shirt paying members get), that would be great. Maybe bring back "vintage" designs, a BLUE CREW Kid's Crew design, etc. You don't know how much I would love to see a bunch of 8 year old kids all in BLUE CREW shirts...call it the marketing major in me, but it just sets them up to join the organization and go to games if they decide to come to SLU after graduation.

My main concern--which I may have missed in the article itself--is the possibility of the university being the sole financial benefactor on this new product. If BLUE CREW could get like 15%-25% of each shirt sold, that would definitely be something worth looking into.

Overall, I think it's a great idea that, if successful, could be expanded to all student organizations/clubs...like selling Barenaked Statues or Legion 1818 shirts. It shows your fellow students that you are proud of each other's achievements.

They should change the name of the kids club to the Jr. Blue Crew

Posted Image

Posted Image

"I was on fire, I was hotter than a pistol" Jason McElwaine

If theres no SLU basketball in heaven I'm not going!!!!!!

Official Billikens.com Sponsor of Chris Sloan and Billiken Volleyball

and Official Billiken.com Online Video Guy