A10 vs other Conferences

I was thinking the other day when the NCAA bids came out and the MVC only got 2 bids and the A10 got 2 bids where all the people were who thought we should be in the MVC went. The MVC got a raw deal but they got it since they are not on the east coast. The A10 will always get more love from the committee when going head to head with conferences like the MVC since they are located in the east. Funny how the MVC crowd actually thought that they would get 5 and maybe 6 bids. I will admit I always thought 3 was in the cards for them but once again, the Shockers folded during the year and SMS screwed up in the post season tourney once again. Bradley and UNI took steps backwards as predicted.

I don't think anyone who follows the MVC was talking about 5 or 6 bids once conference season was under way. WSU had probably the best non-conference record and they were chewed up in conference--injuries certainly played a part in this as well. I thought the MVC should have gotten 3 with a very outside shot at 4 in Bradley. Problem was the top 2 schools, SIU & CU were able to separate themselves from those 3 & 4 schools. I really think MO St losing at home to Winthrop might have been a deciding factor, another good non-conference win might have put them in the NCAA.

While not getting 3 bids is disappointing, I am kind of happy that SIU got a 4 seed. Seeding is where I really think the MVC has also gotten raws deals recently, but I think a 4 is about right.

I really don't know how many on this board wanted us in the MVC, my arguement all along has been our program would have been successful in the MVC. I understand the reasons for the A10 and while many of those reasons are more school related than basketball related, I think SLU will be fine in the A10.

So, what has been the take from all the radio "experts" in STL? What does Bernie have to say now that the dreadful A-10 and the omnipotent MVC got the same amount of bids?

Like I've been saying all along, perception is reality. MVC has gotten some national respect, but the fact remains that those outside of the Missouri area could really care less. Not that the A-10 is getting national recognition, but it's an East Coast conference. ESPN is on the East Coast. We are represented in some of the biggest cities in the country. There is a lot of money on the east coast. Unless the A-10 continues a downward trend for the next 5 years, it will always be superior to the MVC in the minds of the people who matter.

Here I am Cheeseman and I still believe that SLU would be better served in the MVC rather than the A10. We are not an east coast team! My guess is that SOME of our recruit's parents would like to travel to see their sons or daughters play, but it's pretty difficult to make road trips to upstate New York. But hey, it's just me.

That's a legitimate concern. However, I'd also think the players would enjoy traveling to NYC, Philly, DC, etc moreso than most of the cornfields of the MVC.

And while we are not an east coast school, it's pretty obvious that there is a significant east coast bias. Even if you can't see SLU in STL (which i completely agree sucks), guys on the east coast are watching.

i would just as soon buy the plane ticket to philly or washington or charlotte as i would to cedar rapids, wichita state or des moines. plus there are still as many home games in this conference as there is in the mvc.

but hey, it's just me.

Yeah, you're right. I guess our players like to read about themselves being beaten by Fordham or whoever in the NY Times rather than the Normal Gossip. By the way, who are we losing recruits to? If you're from Missouri, you're going to SIU or Missouri State. I don't think too many kids on the east coast will consider SLU.

I am not sure we lost any recruits to SMS that we actually wanted and recruited. Now SIUC is another matter. Shaw - came in late on him he was not Brad's top pick maybe should have been, Faulkner - the kid really did not want to come to SLU given what he said about the degree he wanted and we did not have, Brooks - he wanted us over SIU but Romar did not want him for whatever the reason. Eddie - name some others who you think we lost out to SMS and SIUC on.

eddie gadedel said,

"I don't think too many kids on the east coast will consider SLU."

dixon was from south carolina. relephorde was attending school in philly when slu began to recruit him.

it has been written here we are in the final list of the dematha point guard, peterson.

hinson was on ramsey and cusumano show a few weeks ago and said that slu has 4 players on their roster he recruited. i would guess that lowery would say the same.