Jesse Perry

SIUSalukis

Take it FWIW, but someone with ties to the staff at SIU posted on salukitalk that the Booker commitment, SIU likely will not be pursuing Perry. I guess the staff was happily suprised with the Booker commitment and might have their sights set on a different player than Perry for that last scholly.

Booker and Perry play different positions. Booker plays both forward positions. Perry projects as a 1,2,3 in college. If he put some serious work in the weight room, he could be a poor man's Julian Wright because of his guard abilities. I can see how the two player are similar because they are both tall kids with perimeter skills, but Booker is a frontcourt player and Perry is a backcourt player who can play some 3. Perry always played guard until he hit the growth spurt. He entered Gateway Tech at 6'1. He's now close to 6'8. He played pg on JV as a freshman. Booker just worked on his guard skills while he was wasting away on JV as a freshman and not getting any tick on varsity as a sophomore. I dont understand why you still wouldnt recruit both. Torres is. You could have a 6'7 pg and and 6'3 sg, and on defense Torres can guard the pg, and Perry the sg. With Lowery's defense and those big guards, that's a nightmare for opposing offenses.

>Perry projects as a 1,2,3 in college. If he put some serious work in the weight room, he

>could be a poor man's Julian Wright because of his guard abilities.

Perry doesn't have a consistent jump shot, which doesn't make him much of a point guard. I've heard people say that if he had a jump shot, Perry would be a high-major prospect.

The Wright comparisons are close, though. I don't know if Wright can shoot from the perimeter either, but they both have nice all-around games. Perry definitely is versatile enough to play almost any position on the floor. I'd like to see him get stronger and work more at the four where he could use his quickness to get past big guys and get to the rim.

Roundtree, Booker and Perry would be a nice trio because of their versatile skill sets.

- Nate

I appreciate your cander Nate, this is my favorite area to discuss. I agree with you on Perry's jumpshot, but havent there been a million very good college pg's that couldnt shoot, Taliek Brown at Uconn, Mateen Cleaves at Michigan State. If you are talking about scoring guard, yeah they have to be able to shoot, but not having a jumpshot shouldnt hurt Perry as a pg. That's what he always played until recently. He's not even used to his new body yet. He has loads of untapped potential. There are a LOT of good pg's that cant shoot in division 1. Mullins, currently at SIU couldnt shoot a lick last year, I dont know if that trend has continued, but he was ROY in the MVC last year. I cant see a pint sized pg being able to keep Perry out of the lane or handle him in an ISO situation. I want Perry to work on his legs. When he drives around opposing bigs, he often blows layups when he should be going up for a drop step dunk. I'd like to see him improve that. He's one of those rare lefties that cant shoot, but maybe he can make strides in that area, and they dont have to be as drastics as the one's Liddell has made. He grew without putting on much weight. As he fills out and gets used to his size, he'll be fine IMO.

>There are a LOT of good pg's that cant shoot in division 1. >Mullins, currently at SIU couldnt shoot a lick last year, I dont >know if that trend has continued, but he was ROY in the MVC last >year.

Mullins has gotten more confident in his shot, but it would probably still be considered his weakness. Many say his lack of a good shot is what kept him from going to a high major school.

Thanks for insight on Perry and Booker's skill sets.

>I would add Jerome Jones of Career Academy to that list

>Vtime..I dont know if you have seen him play but he is a

>6'5-6'5 Sophmore that can really play...

I saw him have a big game against Vashon. He's pretty good, but at the time they were listing him at 6'4. Has he grown? I like him. I like him over fellow CA sophomore Charles Brooks who was on varsity last year as a freshman. He's gotta grow, but he's good. He didnt do much against Gateway though in the game that went into overtime. If he can get to 6'7 I'd definitely recommend him.

>

> outside of maybe suggs, i think perry has the biggest

>upside of anybody in the '08 class. booker might be close as

>well.

>

>bad boyz for life

>

>ba

I agree. Anytime you have a potential 6'7 pg, That's big upside. If they let him play pg in the summer and he hits some outside shots, he could be a high major.

>...about a statment you made. You said in another thread:

>"I'd like to see the packet [Ramey]'s selling to college

>coaches and compare it to mine."

>

>Are you putting together a packet to sell to college

>coaches?

I'm compiling a similar publication, profiling the area players. Classes 2008-2010. I still have a few more evaluations to make and then I'm going to follow some top prospects down the road to state.

>The benefits are more than marginal if the work is

>acknowledged and accepted as a valuable resource.

If you mean accepted by scouts, or coaches, sure. I received 50 emails a day with regular people asking me what games to go to, or what players to watch, etc. A lot of people just dont know about the area. Ramey's site is the only site that touches on a diverse array of teams and conferences. The STLtoday forums, just dont talk about Berkeley, Beaumont, Vashon, etc. I would start my own site, but I dont have the finances to keep the site running smoothly and efficiently like Steve does with this site. He really does a good job. I go to as many games as anybody. Thursday thru Saturday are my off nights and I check out either the best matchup or the top division 1 prospects playing that night. Normandy, Berkeley, McCluer North, and McCluer games are almost a given for me attend because I live in Normandy and they are right down the road.