Cheryl's performance !

victor

Tbill - Biondi told her that giving Brad an extension was a priority during the interviewing period and when she was hired. At the time, he had taken over a team that had lost several players to failing grades and other reasons and had no one signed for the upcoming year. He found a few players under rocks and took the the team to 2 NIT bids. Things looked very bright and we all agreed. When she was hired she said that she knew because Father Biondi made it very clear that one of the big priorities she was given was to lock Brad into an extension. She delivered on that directive early when she came and then all hell broke out with the 9-21 season. The rest is history.

I don't think the 9-21 season had anything to do with where Brad and the team stands now. That was an anomaly. Our seniors were crippled by injuries and we were 1-11 in games decided by 6 points or less, with a lot of bizarre circumstances. I don't necessarily think that Brad should shoulder the blame for that season (his defensive coaching skill actually kept those games close when we were outmanned all year). The head coach is always accountable when things go like that, but I don't think the record tells the whole story that year, and I don't think it was some sort of turning point for Brad's coaching career. He didn't get the extension and then just relax.

This year, however, could have been a positive turning point, and barring a 4-win performance in Atlantic City, the season is a huge disappointment. I think there's a much larger weight on his shoulders when he has a couple bad recruiting years in a row and doesn't meet expectations. This season has left a more bitter taste in my mouth than 2004-2005.

At the time I was like everybody else then that gave Brad a pass on the year but if you remember, many were upset with him since he was not playing the younger players to get them ready for the next year. I do think that what we saw that year in his coaching personality we have seen surface since then. As I reflect on that 9-21 year, I do think that he can not be given total pass - as the coach, you take the credit when the team overachieves so you have to shoulder some of the blame when it underachieves. Since that year, he has not shown that he can put a team on the court that can play consistently all year. That has to be worrisome.

Completely agreed. I just don't see that year as a cause or effect of anything- I look at it as a season on its own, and I think what has happened since then is a different set of issues altogether.