O'Rear goes nuts

Just wanted to give him props for stepping up big time in a big game. I'm still going to regard him as a 2 star until he grows some more. At 6'6 220, he's a behemoth in Illinois Class A ball but that makes him a tweener at the college level. If you're not a really good leaper, you really need to be in the 6'7 235 lb range to be an effective D-1 power forward nowadays. Hopefully, he's not done growing.

If he is 6'6 220 now (as a sophmore in HS) and your target is 6'7 235 lb as a college player, the 235 part is in the bag. I would think chances of him growing at least one inch are pretty high as well. 6'7" 240# as a college freshman would be an easy target for this kid to hit in 2 years. But I'm looking at his HS stats for this year and he only averages 2.1 RB per game. How is that possible?

http://prepsports3.stltoday.com/basketball...overall172.shtm

'Cause the Post only has the stats that the schools give to them. The schools outside outside the Metro area -- aren't always that dilligent about providing that information. Centralia is another big offender.

I just hope the fact O'Rear is this physically mature this early isn't a sign that he's done growing.

O'Rear 17.7 ppg 259r 101 assists

there was a story on O'Rear in the Centralia Morning Sentinel on thursday by Mike McManus

This is just a little part of the story.

As for trying to compare O'Rear to another player who has passed through this area recently, there are some obvious similarties to former Centralia Orphan Matt Shaw, now a starter at SIU-Carbondale as a true freshman.

Much like Shaw did in 2002 O'Rear has helped lead as otherwise senior-dominated team to a state tournament as a sophomore . In his soophomore season, Shaw averaged 14 points, seven rebounds, and 2.5 blocks per game, numbers very comparable to those put up by O'Rear.

"Time will tell, I guess," said Darrin Lee. "I don't know if that's fair to Lucas just yet because Matt is a great, great player and he was playing against bigger people."

"But does Lucas have the potential to become a player like Matt? I think the answer is yes, but he has a lot of work ahead of him."