Pomeroy Rankings

kshoe

For those that like looking at the various rankings, Pomeroy recently released his, including the predictor for the rest of the season. Before the Bills loss to SIU he had us as the 81st ranked team and predicted an 8 point loss (we lost by 9). The system predicts us to finish 19-11. Although Pomery's rankings can be accessed from the Pomeroy RPI site, its very different, primarily because margin of victory is factored into the calculation.

http://kenpom.com/sked.php?y=2007&team=St.%20Louis&t=p

Just a point of clarification--in the past Pomeroy's rankings were based on margin of victory (and home/away) but this year they are not. They are purely based on offensive and defensive efficiency (points per possession related to the opponents defense and points given up per possession related to opponents offense. Yes his "home grown" rankings are different from his RPI "public service" ratings.

His rankings this year (and the predictions made from them) are a bit of an experiment. He has created efficiency stats the last three years but this year is the first year he is basing rankings on them.

Actually, I think he may very be correct, 19-11. I hate to say it but I don't see how this team is much different then last years. Ian is not the force he was and KL and TL are a little better so it is a wash. The only thing that might make us a little better this year is that we are getting better play from DP, DB and JJ.