Rich Grawer on recruiting local kids

Frank C. is having his round table on Frankly Speaking and they were talking about the success of Blake Ahearn at SMS. Frank asked Grawer if there was ever a kid that he passed on that did very well elsewhere and Grawer said yes but couldn't think of any offhand. In general, though, he had a rule that he would not recruit a kid who unless he was SURE that player would be a contributor. If he recruited a local kid who didn't fit into his system, Grawer feared that kid would become a cancer on the bench or his parents would start badmouthing the program.

Let me say - I appreciate everything Grawer did for SLU - he did save the BB program. Sorry he could not take it to the next level but old news. Maybe he should spend his time not on talk shows but overseeing his Clayton program so they do not have another debacle like they did with their football program this year.

Rich Grawer is Frank's old high school coach. Nothing wrong with bringing the old coach back to add a voice to the endless talking heads on radio. I found it interesting that he (Grawer) was more careful offering to local player than a non-local due to fear of a friends / family backlash should the player not work out.