Hey, cujaysfan, re: Dana Altman & Illinois

Sorry you missed my earlier postings on the MVC, I was able to find one in our archives here. A couple of answers to points you have made in your post.

1. I am a member of this board, I am a SLU alum and fan. I am also a fan of Creighton and the MVC. When you said "You came on our board...", I have been here.

2. I was not being chicken sh## about asking you to go the valleytalk.net for information on the schools, that is probably the best resource for you if you want detailed information--as you asked for. Also if you want to talk about the MVC then this is probably where it should be done since it doesn't pertain to SLU.

3. As far as unwilling to share my info, I have posted what I know earlier during the MVC/A10 debate, now I can't speak for if you will call it compelling or how well your memory works.

StLouBlue

Charter Member

142 posts, 1 feedbacks, 2 points Sep-29-03, 08:36 PM (CST)

21. "Why MVC is getting stronger"

In response to message #11

I was done posting about the MVC, because it has gotten quite a beating on this message board lately, but since it sounds like B-Roy asked a reasonable question about it I will try to answer. I don't think anyone anyone on the board, other than maybe SluNate, who has since changed his opinion has advocated SLU joining the MVC. That being said, I think the MVC is a good conference and I think it has a bright future. If you are sick of reading about the MVC, I suggest stop reading now.

Reasons why MVC getting stronger.

1. There are some very good coaches in the league.

2. MVC has traditionally been a guard league, lately though teams have been able to bring in some quality big men to the league. Sommerville at Bradley, Tolliver at Creighton, Miller at WSU this year and for next year Smith and Watts from Creighton and Bryant for Bradley. Also Drake has a transfer from Tulsa coming in--don't have name in front of me.

3. Attendance is good at most schools in the MVC.

4. Has put at least 2 teams in the NCAAs the last 5 years.

Breakdown of Teams in the MVC.

WICHITA STATE. Has a new arena opening this year, not sure how many people it will hold, believe around 10k. WSU could be the best team in the Valley--have 4 returning starters(3jrs & 1soph) including probable preseason MVP in Howard. Good young coach in Turgeon, KU alum.

NORTHERN IOWA. Will be getting a new arena within next few years. Have two returning starting seniors who were leaders last year in scoring and rebounding, along with the 3 other starters. Have 5 freshmen and two transfers--may finally have depth that this team has been lacking. Coach McDermott is starting his 3rd year there. Put 7 years as head coach in Division II, before returning to alma mater as head coach.

EVANSVILLE. Returning 3 starters including the teams only senior Cuffle, who was also teams leading scorer. Has had a lot of player turnover, but this has also allowed 2nd year coach Merfield to get his type players in system. Merfield came from Hampton after 2 straight NCAA appearances.

DRAKE. Returning 3 starters including teams only senior and leading scorer McDonald, who will probably be the schools all time leading scorer by end of season. New coach Dr Tom Davis has revitalized this program. Will take a couple years to get quality athletics in system, but team should improve play from the start.

INDIANA STATE. Probably the worst team in the MVC. Moss was the freshman of the year in the MVC though. Waltman resurrected program 4-5 years ago and got them to 20 wins and in the NCAA, not sure he will be back if team is bad again this year.

ILLINOIS STATE. Four returning starters and two transfers, Echols from Missouri and Plank from Wisconsin. Team was soft last year, so this year have a new coach. Moser, young coach from UALR, from Illinois orginally, played at Creighton. Turned UALR program around from under 10 wins to 18 in first season.

BRADLEY. Returning 4 starters, including Gilbert who lead conference in scoring. Sommerville, a frwd/center, is their big recruit, a JUCO trans who played freshman year at Iowa. Les is in 2nd year here, also alum of Bradley.

SMS. Also 4 returning starters, 3 of which are seniors. Very good freshman class. Has a very talented and deep team. Does a very good job of recruiting the St Louis area. Hinson is in 4th year.

SIU. One of two best teams in MVC last few years. Lost head coach Weber and two main players in Williams and Dearman. Has other 3 starters returning. Also very good freshman class and also recruits St Louis very well. Young assistant coach Painter moved up to head coach, was assistant at SIU for all 5 years Weber was there.

CREIGHTON. Returning 3 starters and also has a very good recruiting class coming in, with Missourians Blackwell and Tolliver headlining. Will be opening a new arena also this year, holds 15k. Head coach Altman is still there, 10th season at CU.

What MVC must do to continue improving:

1. Keep the quality coaches you have. Creighton has increased Altman's money to stay competitive with offers he has received in past. Altman is very comfortable at Creighton and hopefully will stay for the long term. Bradley and NIU both have hired alums recently, both should be long term coaches also. Davis will probably not be long term, but hopefully will get Drake turned around and then hand off. Turgeon should be around to see how his young talented team does, but will probably be mentioned for Big12 openings in the future. Hinson has a lot of good young talent, I would think he wouldn't be leaving anytime soon either.

2. Scheduling is a problem league wide. As was posted earlier there not many power conference teams on MVC schedules, mostly because these teams do not want to play a road game against an MVC team. Hopefully with the opening up of holiday tournaments, this will be an opportunity for MVC schools to get neutral site games w/ these teams. Once league improves to a top 10 or better league hopefully the power conference teams will start scheduling these games more.

3. Continue to bring in talent. Creighton, SIU, SMS and WSU have brought in some very good young talent with their recent success. This should help the league and force the other schools to do the same. There is a lot of talent in the midwest and the MVC schools have done a very good job of identify these kids and getting them to come to the MVC schools.

Summary: In the short term, I expect MVC teams to have 2-3 teams in the NCAAs and also at least one team in the top 25 the next few years. Long term will depend on keeping the good coaches in the league and upgrading scheduling as best as they can. Sorry this is soo long.

Blue - First of all, your old post - thanks for sharing it again - was not compelling, as I thought, particularily since of the 3 areas I listed on my post you never actually addressed. Saying that teams have returning starters means nothing - if the teams are not highly regarded then who cares if their starters are returning or not. Second, I specifically noted that I was not speaking of improved facilities as areans only and that is all you mentioned. Third, your only example of increased pay was CU and I never questioned that action. The coaches you mentioned, other than Altman, are bargain basement coaches who are looking for stepping stones - there is that term again - for their careers. Fourth, you make no mention of quality scheduling which I specifically noted. Fifth, I did not start the post so don't blame me for responding - besides, if you did not think it was a worthy topic for the board then why did you respond? Sixth, I never said you were not a member of the board lots of people are members who are not necessarily SLU fans and that is fine but don't say go to another board to get the information to substantiate your position - why would that board have more crediabilty then you on the topic. Now all this being said, I am finished with this thread since obviously you gave it your best shot and came up short. By the way - clearly the SOS issue has been talked about thoroughly recently on this board and the A10 comes out way ahead of the MVC; I would love to see the the avg. salary of the MVC and the A10 for head coaches and assistants - you could have done that and either made mine or debunked your position.

sorry - did just a cursory and quick post...trying to dig out of a lot of email etc...

not sure what you are expecting here - of course i am happy altman stayed - he has proven himself to be one of the best coaches in the country - he was named midseason coach of the year (didn't even know there was such an award)

continues to upgrade recruiting - now has nba quality arena in his recruiting toolkit - things look good. i was laughed at and ridiculed here earlier when i said that i didn't expect jays to really skip beat that CU was in reload instead of rebuild mode - looks like altman has made me look OK on that.

however - there are two jobs out there that scare me - mizzou and iowa and IMO both of their coaches are not on the strongest of footing...

DA's coaching friends might not let him pass on those two jobs - so i am glad he stayed - do i think he will be approached again with very good jobs - yes...however he is making 600k+ has great relationship with AD, has brand new arena, town that loves him, lives very close to his parents who get to watch him coach and hang out with grandkids...any offer that comes his way will have to be very strong to compete with what is keeping him in omaha.