Brandenburg and Baniak

Since it is in print I will now tell you that Matt has been working with JB for awhile, and they will pick it up again as soon as the season is over.

BIG JUNIOR EMERGES AS MAJOR

The fact of the matter is, if you're 6-11 and only a junior, you're going to get good looks. But size alone doesn't mean schools will keep coming back. You have to have some skill, athletic ability and potential. Just outside of St. Louis at Creve Couer (MO) DeSmet Jesuit, John Brandenburg has already displayed that he has the requisite size, skills and more to become a high-major target.

"North Carolina, Wake Forest, Stanford, Wisconsin, Missouri, Saint Louis, Florida, Kansas and a bunch of others have been out to see me," Brandenburg told PrepStars.com. "I've already got offers from Wisconsin, Missouri, Virginia, Saint Louis and Purdue. Stanford has basically offered, I just have to pass admissions."

A long and wiry-strong center who runs the floor like a much smaller player, Brandenburg first gained notice as a rising sophomore with a strong showing at the Adidas Top 10 camp. After a solid sophomore season at DeSmet, he kept it rolling last summer while anchoring the middle for the St. Louis Eagles.

Because he's confident in his abilities and understands the premium placed on big men who can run, Brandenburg isn't necessarily surprised by the early offers.

"With what people were telling me they were hearing, I kind of expected it," said Brandenburg. "It seems kind of cocky to say it, but I've worked hard for it."

More recently, Brandenburg has been hooking up with former SLU player Matt Baniak, who has played professionally overseas. The two work on a progression of post moves, improving his footwork and just his all-around skills. Blessed with soft touch around the rim and quick hops, he'd like to be able to face up a bit more.

"I can shoot pretty well and I've been working on my dribbling a lot lately," said Brandenburg. "People say I'm tall and that I don't need to do that stuff, but I'd like to be able to beat people off the dribble too."

For the time being, Brandenburg remains wide open and is hoping he'll have the type of season to add more offers to his list. As for what he'll look for when he starts to narrow things down, it's the kind of things you'd expect from a high level prospect and great student.

"Academics are important, obviously, but I really want to play for a team that can develop me," said Brandenburg. "What I really want is to take my game to the next level. Everybody talks about trying to make it to the League, but I really want to find a place that will develop my game to hopefully make that next step."