The infamous Kelvin Sampson

I don't have it with me this morning .... but according to the Post Sampson continued to recruit Gordon, even going as far as to hire someone close to the kid ... maybe his HS or AAU coach. I'll look it up tommorrow at work. It looks like all parties are very guilty and Sampson did more than receive the kids calls.

Again ... once a coach does this, all his verbals should be fair game.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Not to stick up for Footsie, but this is a SLU board. The Illini are recruiting for some of the same players we are. They refuse to play us. I see no need to feel sorry for them and Weber.

Verbals are non-binding. Coaches are allowed by the NCAA to recruit players after they give a verbal. I don't see this as being wrong at all. I know coaches don't like it because it means more work for them. The rules are what they are. If you call and the kid doesn't tell you to stop, you aren't doing anything wrong. You better not quit recruiting the kid just because he has given you a verbal. If you do, someone will sweep in and steal the kid.

No ... the reason for the verbal is so that the kid can let his plans be known and to stop the calls and letters so that he can get back to a normal life. Coaches should have some integrity and honor that. What would you think if a coach offers a kid and the kid accepts and gives a verbal ... now what if the coach keeps recruiting and finds someone he likes better ... should he be able to pull that offer and give it to the new kid ... and all be good. If so ... what is the point of the verbal ... if it means nothing to the coach or the kid.

The fact of the matter is some coaches have integrity and some don't ... Sampson doesn't. He has proven it himself.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman