Mac Users

SluSignGuy

I am just wondering, how many of you out there use macs. Since I know some of the links on the main page do not work with Macs (god knows why, but I want to figure it out). So how many people would I be helping if I investigated the manner?

Thanks,

Steve

Do you check your stats? I bet a majority of your Mac hits come from me.

As for why the links on the front page don't work, I've wondered that myself. But, then again, now that I've rechecked, I see that they do work in my current favorite browser, Safari, but they don't work in Internet Explorer. I looked at your source code, and the only explanation I can think of is that Mac IE 5.2 isn't standards compliant and doesn't know how to render the code. You have:

Stats

At the very least, I would swap the tags and the tags (i.e., don't put any tags between the anchor tag [] and the text you want to be the link). Are you coding the pages by hand or using a Front Page-like application (AOL Press)? Many applications don't get the code quite right.

Optimally, I would use the following code:

Stats

That should do what you want it to do in all browsers in all environments, provided they are modern.

Lastly, the five zeroes should be six (meaning "black").

Thicks-

I use AOL Press to edit the pages, and I use it to do the basics. I am lazy and instead of writing the code, for a table for instance, I simply just have AOL Press do it for me, then I go into the View HTML Mode, and then I mess with the code. AOL Press is a program that is from about 5-6 years ago, and AOL dropped support for it a LONG time ago. But I like it. So that could be my problem. I will try to tinker with it in the next couple of days when I am avoiding studying (like I am now, Calculus does get a little dull)

Thanks for the help man!

Steve

First of all, if you want to use Safari, you have to be using Mac OS X. It's not made for 9.x, to my knowledge. I like Safari better than Explorer; all I can suggest is that you download it (it's free) and give it a spin. If you like it better than Explorer, then kick IE to the curb like I did, and if not, then throw it away.

I think Safari has advantages over Explorer, but there are some things Explorer does better Safari. Unless you have very limited hard-drive space, there shouldn't be any harm in have multiple browsers on your computer.

I also have a G3 PowerBook.

I have 13 different browsers on my computer, including IE 4.5 and 5.1 and Netscape 4.7 in classic, Lynx and Links in UNIX, IE 5.2, Safari, Netscape 7, Mozilla, iCab, Opera, Chimera, and OmniWeb in OS X. I don't use them all on a regular basis, but I occasionally use most of them to check the appearance and functionality of my website in those browsers. If I had Virtual PC, I would get some Windows browsers, too.

My primary browser for surfing is Safari, I use IE 5.2 to save pages, and I use iCab to perform forum maintenance and post messages on my site, so that I can easily see what percentage of my site hits are coming from myself.

I don't think having all of the various browsers hampers my computer's performance.

Thanks for trying buddy. It is very odd. I think it may have something to do with SSI. But it is just wierd. Since all of the main page is SSI almost, but only that section is funky. I will see what I can do.

Steve

I've done a little work with Serves-Side Includes, myself. Let me have a look at your pages with the includes and the files being included. One thing about pages that are included is that they shouldn't have the ,

, , and tags in them. You can e-mail the files to me or give me ftp access.

In the next couple of days I will send you a zip file with everything. Or tell you the location of one. I just can't make it right now, I had reading that needs to be done. But I should get around to it in the next couple of days.

Steve