NCAA and their Credits.....

Basketbill

I do not quite understand how they do it ie how they divide the money.

Each team that makes the tourney earns x credits, and additional credits y for every game they play or win.

then those credits go back to the conference and get divided up between the schools.

But I think the NCAA awards those credits every few years right?

If a school leaves that conference then those credits stay with the conference. I realize that with the success that Uconn, Syracuse and other BE schools have had, that they would leave a significant chunk of change,

But with marquette doing so well and this year I expect Cinci, Louisville, Marquette, Memphis, Charlotte and SLU to all have a decent shot at the tourney, if three or four of these teams get to the sweet sixteen, and one to the Final 4 then CUSA will have a chunk of change that these schools would be leaving as well.

leaving the money behind is without a doubt a huge reason the new conference is having a hard time selling itself. thank you very much for that insight. we need to ask doug to give us ncaa pie 101 class at a tipoff club meeting.

I am trying to link the NCAA payments to the conference from the Basketball Fund.

http://www1.ncaa.org/finance/7-yr_conf_summaries/basketball

Also here is the description of the points and what happens when teams move. You will need to click on Basketball Fund or just move down the page to it.

http://www1.ncaa.org/finance/revenue_distribution_plan#5

In there I think it mentions that the NCAA encourages dividing the money equally, but that it is up to the conference to decide how it wants to divide it.

I know the MVC put in place a few years ago where teams wouldn't get all of their portion if their strength of schedule for x (maybe 3)number of years wasn't at a certain level. I think this was a good idea and a good reason for why conferences should decide and not the NCAA.

i read one time that almost every conference divy's the money differently. for example, i believe i read the big 10 indeed divides 11 ways equally. so northwestern gets as much as indiana who is in the tourney every year.

i believe it is the southwest conference that divides twice. first the teams that actually performed in the tourney get a portionate share depending on how far they went, and then half of the kitty gets divided equally or something like that.

i agree stloublue, this was a great source that i have bookmarked and i appreciate you bringing it to the board. thanks!

it also clearly shows the reason for marquette's decision. as big east money is twice either a-10 or c-usa. no doubt if marquette's program is improving, they would expect to garner a larger piece of the pie going forward. however, my guess is that marquette will have to go through a period of time where they are cut out of the c-usa pie and not get the big east pie unless c-usa goes away.

If CUSA is dissolved than each school gets the money they have earned. So unless CUSA goes away, Marquette loses all the money they have earned.

I'm sure they will start getting money from day 1 in the BE. Therefore after paying exit fees to CUSA and entrance fees to BE, they will start making more money per year based on TV contracts, NCAA moneys, etc.

BTW, I would welcome SLU to the A-10. I personally don't think that CUSA is that much better as a basketball conference. Both have their top tier teams and both have their bottom feeders. We are both typically only one or two points away on the Conference RPI scale.

xu95

Dissoling though would require a vote, or 9 of the fourteen school jumping ship. If the big 3 and depaul leave, then and then SLU tries to leave, then why would the remaining 8 school want to dissolve when they could split the pot 8 way for a year or two??

By the way does the A-10 have a decent TV contract??

The A-10s TV contract is not as good as it used to be. I don't know how many games are on ESPN totally, but I know Xavier has five this year. We had 10 last year I believe.

We have a contract with Fox Sports (which I'm sure would be extended to your Fox Sports if you join). Totally Xavier had all but two games on.

xu95