salvaging something out of CUSA

jjray

OK, let us assume it is doomsday--Louisvill, Cincy, Marquette and DePaul have left for the Big East. CUSA is a wreak.

I have suggested an option in a thread below that the Valley could be beafed up for b-ball by having two bottom teams leave and adding SLU and Butler. That would take some ugly politicing by the better Valley teams to make that happen. These are extraordinary times that call for extraordinary measures; however, I admit it would be unusual for the presidents of Creighton, Bradley, et al. to do something like that.

Forming a new conference? I just don't think we would be able to form a new conference better than the Valley if SLU, Creighton, and Butler were the headliners (unless we are essentially going to raid the entire Valley minus the worst 2 teams in which case you might as well do option 1 mentioned above as you keep the automatic NCAA bid).

Can anything redeeming be salvaged from the wreakage of CUSA for SLU? The only way I could see that happening is to go back to divisional play in B-ball. If we stay in a single division format stripped of the top teams, SLU's RPI is going to plummet. If we went back to divisional play in b-ball and added Creighton and Butler to replace Marquette / DePaul, our schedule might not look too bad. How about a CUSA b-ball division of:

SLU

Creighton

Butler

Memphis

Charlotte

UAB

Pick up out-of-conference games against Marquette, DePaul (one of those two being a home game each year). Not too bad at all. We lose the cache of annual games against Cincy and Louisville but it might be the best we can do with a bad situation.

I don't see BB only teams like Butler and Creighton leaving their conferences to join CUSA w/out Louisville, Cincinnati, Marquette and DePaul. CUSA would be a league looking like it could break up a any moment. Memphis would probably not be sticking around. The TX schools of TCU & Houston would probably be looking west. I doubt either Creighton or Butler would leave the relative stability of their leagues to join the mess that CUSA would be. Also both Creighton and Butler are in leagues where BB is the main sport, I would think if they leave they would want to stay in this same kind of league.

I don't know where Memphis would go. When the ACC took the two schools and went to 11, there was speculation that the ACC would look at the SEC for a 12th school. If that were to happen, Memphis would probably be on the list for the SEC. I could also see the close to midwest WAC schools & the midwest CUSA football schools getting together.

At the minimum, if Marquette, Cincinnati, Louisville and DePaul leave I don't think Calipari will be staying long at Memphis.

i personally think memphis is more screwed than what we might be. the sec wont take them due to their intense hatred they have with miss, tenn, and vandy, if the big east wanted them, we would already have heard that. they dont really have any kinship with existing schools elsewhere other than louisville who is dropping them like a hot potato, maybe the big 12 would take them if baylor gets booted? personally, i think they might be the saving grace of c-usa. they are in the same boat as us and realize they need to make this the best for themselves and be proactive.

i think it was eldon hubbard that once said, "if you want milk, dont pull up a stool in a pasture and expect a cow to come sauntering up" or something like that. those schools just sitting back waiting for an offer out of this are probably going to be very disappointed.

Maybe Memphis and SLU could join the A-10.

No way would an SEC team leave for the ACC. The SEC had the biggest cash dissemination amongst members ever last year.

Memphis has backers with $ (FEDEX) TV Market, SLU has some dolla bills as well. Money talks and the two markets are good for television. But let's not count on this MU, UL, DeP to Big East thing just yet.