Big East and Husak

richmond

Interesting notes in this article. Bad news on conference. Good on Husak.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news?slug=in...v=tsn&type=lgns

Inside Dish: Big East could be one big league

By Mike DeCourcy - SportingNews.com

Mike DeCourcy's Inside Dish will be in the September 1 issue of Sporting News magazine that goes on sale later this week and is an example of the type of in-depth coverage Sporting News delivers each week on college basketball. Subscribe today and receive a special offer.

The on-again, off-again marriage between the Big East schools that field I-A football teams and those that do not appears to be on again.

The current sentiment is to add Louisville and Cincinnati, which have I-A football programs, and Marquette and DePaul, which do not. That would give the league 16 teams in basketball, a logistical nightmare. But some officials at the basketball schools believe it would protect them in the event of a future split. . . .

ADVERTISEMENT

Minnesota's returning scoring leaders, shooting guard Maurice Hargrow and small forward Michael Bauer, aren't expected to play again until October.

Together, they averaged 24.6 points last season. But Hargrow's right wrist is in a cast following an injury in a summer-league game, and Bauer is recovering from ankle surgery. ...

Center Andrew Bogut, who starred for Australia at the Junior World Championship, was approached by some overseas professional clubs that wanted him to play for them. But Bogut still plans to play for Utah this season.

Bogut got through the NCAA's eligibility clearinghouse and could be the key to giving the Mountain West a Top 25 contender. ...

Incoming Saint Louis 7-0 center Bryce Husak figured to be a redshirt candidate as a freshman, but Billikens veterans have been so impressed with his play in pickup games that they're lobbying coach Brad Soderberg to keep him active. ...

One for SLU getting any ink from the Sporting News and two for the apparent excellent play from supposed project, redshirt Bryce Husak.

If he is still too thin I think we should still shirt him, but if he can seriously help the team you cannot hold him back. We need all the inside help we can get, throw them all out there and see who comes away the best for the team.

I doubt Coach has made a decision on whether Husak will be redshirted before seeing him practice. I don't think Husak should be redshirted because he is a "stiff", I think he should be redshirted because he's competing with Frericks, Vouyoukas, Sloan and JJ for playing time. Wny waste a year of his eligibility when he's most likely the fifth option in the frontcourt?

I agree we would rather have Husak red-shirt and get hopefully much more production down the line than getting around 5 minutes a game this year as our 5th post player option. Also Varner will be around this year if we do need a 5th post player. I guess because Husak is a 7 footer the media will pay a little more attention to whatever is going on with him--always glad to get these mentions.