Sloan being Jeffers?

Being a mature and strong fifth-year senior, I agree that Josh Fisher has all of the tools to be a true leader this season. However, because he takes the defensive-end so seriously and since this year's team will have more offensive options than last year's team, I see Josh Fisher averaging about 12-14 pts per game this season. I think Josh is a classic case re the value of redshirting freshman.

I disagree agree that last year's offense was specifically tailored for Perry. I believe Perry's strength, confidence and XXL heart (and the respect of his teammates) allowed him to takeover in the last few minutes of numerous games.

I believe Coach Soderberg will be preaching and practicing the same motion offense as last year. Again, everybody will be encouraged to move and take what the defense gives them. Shoot early in the shoot clock or shoot late in the shot clock....just take a shot that is open and within your range! IMHO you won't have to encourage Reggie Bryant to shoot and Drejaj, for a freshman, was not too shy to take his share of shots. (In 776 minutes Drejaj took 186 shots, while Fisher played 970 mintes and took 207 shots.)

Perry took 424 shots last season and Diener took 141 shots. Who picks up what share of those shots will be one of the many interesting things to watch for this season. I can't wait.....

tseugnekillib, i am curious what your thoughts on our inside recruits are and their abilities to replace the overall efforts of kenny brown and chris braun immediately? are you sold yet or do you see a drop in effectiveness until ian and husak grow up a litte? is fericks going to be enough to replace all the intangibles that kenny brought to the table last year?

broy, you raise an interesting question. Looking strictly at the numbers, KB and CB averaged a combined 40 minutes per game (KB 27 minutes and CB 13 minutes). As a twosome, they contributed a total of 10 points and 8 rebounds per game.

Without seeing the skills and attitudes of Frericks and Ian, without seeing a muscled-up JJ, without knowing where Izik and Sloan will be playing the bulk of their minutes, it is difficult estimate SLU's post play this year versus last year.

However, on the surface one would think that spreading 40 more minutes between Izik, Sloan and newcomers JJ, Frericks and Ian will generate or exceed the stats produced by KB and CB. I'm thinking, by conference time, we will be better in the post this year than last.

SLU fans have a very interesting season coming their way!

I agree that Fish has not exhibited the scorer mentality ... but I wonder if playing in a 3 guard offense where he was asked to guard the opposing 3 did not takes its toll on him. Fish often looks like he is taking a breather on offense, holding the ball at the top of the key or on the wing waiting for one of his teammates to make a cut. The man only has one move to his left but he has great success putting the ball on the floor and driving. I love to see him take matters into his own hands more often when no one is open rather than than standing there holding the ball.

If Izik / Sloan are going to be our regular 3/4 combo, then Fish should get minutes against the 1 or 2 on defense. I do have some hope that this will allow him to muster the energy to be a greater contributor on the offensive end.