caught a hs game tonight...DeSmet/Chaminade

courtside

Saw DeSmet/Chaminade, won by DeSmet in OT. If DeSmet protects the ball better they win by 10 plus easily. Was surprised Chaminade wasn't any better. Not much d-1 talent on the floor. DeSmet has a very nice Soph who will be highly recruited in a couple of years, Leonard, 6'4 guard, quick, can shoot it, drive and defend. Douglas jr. doesn't bring much to the table, and since he doesn't ever look to shoot, doesn't have to be guarded tight. Williams is a nice little guard for Chaminade, and West can clean-up inside, but West cannot take anybody his size or bigger...which is only about 6'5. Kelvin Lee had more athletic kids, but seemed to be outcoached by Bob Steiner. Kalicak would be a nice recruit for DeSmet if he were say 2 inches taller...at 6'7, needs quicker feet, but is a nice high school guard, who can get to the line with his size.

Great game won by DeSmet in OT. I was very impressed with Jared Leonard tonight, as he scored 16 points tonight on 6-9 shooting from the field and 3-4 on free throws. He made a huge play late in regulation with DeSmet down by 2 as he was able to secure a rebound in a crowd and put the ball back in, drawing a foul in the process. He made the free throw to give DeSmet the lead. Let's hope Brad and his staff continue to monitor his progress.

After Mike Kalicak made 2 free throws to widen DeSmet's lead to 3 with 3 seconds remaining, Chaminade was able to get the ball down the court for Bobby Keaney to drill the game tying 3 at the buzzer.

DeSmet proceeded to emerge victorious in overtime as they won 56-51.

Times certainly have changed crowd-wise...very tame in there...obviously the holiday timing doesn't help. I sat with Bobby McCormack(CBC) and Kevin Walsh(Vianney)...most likely DeSmet's first two Meramec opponents...John Ross(SLUH) was supposed to stop by but couldn't get the wife hall pass. It was an entertaining game. After getting pasted by Vianney earlier, mark that calendar for a Meramec rematch...DeSmet doesn't get blown out often, and it doesn't sit well. I would like to see Lafayette play.

I was surprised to see Douglas finished with 14, almost all on fast break lay-ups and steals(most unforced DeSmet careless ball handling)...Chaminade has West, Williams, Douglas, and that is it...very very rarely substitued. DeSmet played about 10 kids. Steiner always plays a lot of kids.

btw DeSmet Billiken, the only thing Leonard did wrong...it was his guy who buried the 30-35 footer at buzzer to send to ot. But he will be highly recruited in two years, a nice player, great attitude.

I saw McCormack at the game last night, and I wasn't seated too far from where he was. I was in about the second row directly behind the DeSmet bench. My freshman year was Coach Ross' last year teaching at DeSmet, and he was my Honors Algebra teacher for a little more than a semester that year.

You are definitely right on the crowd. I graduated from DeSmet in 2002 and student support was pretty good most of the time while I was there, at least from the standpoint of support from the senior class, but it seems that there has been a significant drop-off in the quality of the DeSmet student section since. I think it's pretty safe to say that the younger alumni outnumbered the current students in quantity and quality.

As to the buzzer beater by Chaminade to tie it up, all I saw on that play was the clock and the ball go through the net. The DeSmet players on the bench blocked my view. One little story to add to that is that before Chaminade inbounded the ball, a friend of mine said that 3 seconds was more than enough time as the DeSmet clock is slower than actual time. Sure enough, the 3 seconds were enough.

Ward...Defensively, I thought he did a nice job on Vaughn West. He is same height as West, but physically stronger. Ward didn't look physically 100% to me that night, and sat a lot(also largely due to foul trouble throughout the whole game).... Chaminade played a 1-3-1 trap all of first half, half court...early it was Leonard getting many looks, ...DeSmet always makes the extra pass and diff guys finished. In second half, Chaminade played man, 94 feet. Kalicak brought it up a lot, and found himself getting fouled often in the lane. Chaminade didn't have an answer to the matchup, high, aggressive 2-3 zone from DeSmet all night.

Ward is a 3 year varsity guy, rare at DeSmet, and that was definitely the most ineffective he has been offensively in a big game that I have seen.