SLU 0 Marquette 0

SLUBALLS

>don't expect to post about a glorious 0-0 tie and not expect

>some good natured ribbing.

>

>Soccer is a bad joke, foisted upon us by old europe.

Rich, I'm not sure if you are a St. Louis native or, if so, whether you went to a catholic grade school or how old you are. Anyone of a certain age (say 40 or older) who grew in STL and went to a Catholic grade school would have a sense of why soccer is historically important in STL. It is the same reason SLU has won the most NCAA championships in the sport and why the 1950 USA world cup team had so many prominent St. Louisians on the team and why the Missouri Athletic Club gives out the soccer equivalent of the Heisman. The movie "The Game of Their Lives", when it comes out, might explain it.

I first started playing organized soccer when I six years old in 1967. I played it before baseball or football or basketball. Everyone I grew up with had the same experience. Everyone I went to catholic high school with knew how to play soccer and had played at point at some level. No other large US city has that sort of soccer tradition going back that many years.

If you didn't experience it, then you shall not understand.

Taj,

Thats a great perspective ... We must be the same age I started at 5. I am not from Stl. I was raised in Dallas than 8th through 11th in Simi Valley Ca. It just happenned that our next door neighbor was from England when I was young and he coached us. It is funny but even as a kid in Dallas we knew about Soccer in STL.

Stl has always had a National reputation with the people who played

I'm a good St. Louis lapsed Catholic aged 32 who eventually grew up and out of both soccer and the church. I played soccer in my youth and then moved on to football and baseball. I'll never understand the love of soccer. Like most Americans it bores me to tears.

Get over it. Harkening back to St. Louis soccer in the 50's is like the people who talk about the 1904 worlds fair. Great. What has that done for us lately other than give Danforth's group a name.

Onward and Upward!

OK, I started this discussion and I will finish it. It's 20v1 on this issue so I think the majority has spoken. Lets sit back now and dream of better things to come for SLU soccer AND SLU basketball over the next few years. Have a good weekend. SLU soccer should be on 590am this weekend around noon on Saturday.