Musings of a Paranoid Bills Fan

I truly fear that the Bills have been completely exposed by the defense LaSalle put on us last week and in reflecting upon their strategy, can't believe no one else had tried to do the same thing before that. Hound our only two consistent shooters, pack the middle to stop IV and limit TL's penetration, and our offense is essentially contained. They'll let TL, DP, LM, VN, JJ, or IV shoot all day from the outside. Anyone else worried that we can expect a clone of that defense from here on out? Any ideas on what we can do to combat such a strategy?

This fact has been known since the start of the season. We were the worst outside shooting team last year in CUSA, and noone in the A10 expected us to be much better this year.

Matchups win the games, and few teams have both the quick guards to nullify our motion offense, and/or the bigs to swarm Ian. Those that do, beat us.

If we get Stemler, he must be able to rotate the ball quickly to be an effective half court player. We have our best ball movement this year with Luke, Kevin, and Tommie triangulating on the left side. When JJ or VN subbed for Luke, that ball rotation died.

Well SLU ran a triangle and 2 against Gonzaga, almost won the game. I haven't seen any other team attempt that on Gonzaga again. If Liddell or Meyer, Brown knocks down shots that defense is over. Bottom line is SLU (besides Lisch) has to knock down open shots.

VN had his best game; he and JJ combined 4 for 6 on field goals

Ian was 5 of 11 which not quite his usual percentage; his only softness was out of position for rebounds and not as good at the line so they kept shoving him out. How many layups we missed and a few more free throws could have put us closer.

Either you did not see the game or you are frustrated as to Sodabergs lack of recognition that they had a lid on Lisch and none of the other shooters got free for shots; thus the percentages elsewhere were like last years. The twin towers of the week before had already used up its surprise tactics but It could have freed up Ian. Lasalle played good D

>Either you did not see the game or you are frustrated as to

>Sodabergs lack of recognition that they had a lid on Lisch

>and none of the other shooters got free for shots

I absolutely watched that abomination of a game. Luke could have shot it basically every time he touched the ball. So could VN or JJ. TL was often open as well for jumpers (though I'll give him an injury pass). The simple fact of the matter is that defense stops our 3 best scoring options dead and dares anyone else to beat us.

In reflecting on how to beat it, why not put all our shooters out there together, DB, AD, and KL at the point. Maybe play TL in the post to get him touches near the basket where he can try to finish and be a force on the boards. He can make some jumpers from the high post if we show him there a bit as well. And we can't afford to run offense like we're trying to beat a zone or we'll never get an open shot. We have to keep those 3 shooters in motion, setting screens for each other and running off screens from the post.

Thanks for a couple of the above posts that gave me a bit of confidence in our team's ability to rise above these issues. Any thoughts on the above strategy?

I have heard a lot of fans of Luke talk positively about his "mid range" game. I haven't seen it. It seems like he has missed a ton of wide open 12-15 footers and his release is painfully slow. He looked like a deer in the headlights against LaSalle. I'm not convinced that he is the answer at the 3 next season. He is a 15-minute per game role player.

>his release is painfully slow.

I was lambasted by the LM, VN, DP, DB fan police for posting that earlier in the year. I have to agree, though. Don't get me wrong, he has a role on this team, but it's not a featured one.

And I will once again clarify that DP is my favorite player on this team so please spare me any diatribes as to his merits, because I believe in them too. Once he gets the shot squared away he'll be fine. He's just like Luke, there's a role for him, probably not a featured one.