Tyler Griffey

VTIME

He struggled last night as Sanijay Watts really took it right at him. Even though Griff only had 7, he hit a 3 and you can tell at 6'8 with a great body and such composure that he will play for money someday soon. If he can play the every game the way Sanijay Watts does people will forget about Tyler Hansbrough. Griff is already a better shooter. TH broke onto the national scene the summer after his sophomore year. Griff is well known commodity already and his stock will only go up.

vtime, you need to let the anger of popular bluff handing it to your precious vashon last year. now you are really looking stupid.

hansbrough is shooting 62% from the field for north carolina playing against top college players night after night plus being the most focused on player on the team. he also shoots 75% from the foul line.

griffey, who i agree will likely develop into a very good player, is shooting only 57% from the field vs high school players and only 57% from the foul line. even you admit an undersized power forward shut griffey down last nite while your all powerful vashon couldnt come close to containing hansbrough last spring.

i have never heard anyone infer tyler hansbrough is not a good shooter, but the fact that his college percentages are better than the lafeyette's center's high school percentages sure doesnt support your claim.

Roy,

While I admire your enthusiasm, consider the source. Even Nate gave up long ago and resorts to humor and sarcasm now.

Anyway...yes I would agree you can't compare a Frosh in high school to a Frosh in college. Where do you begin? I think comparing a frosh to other frosh is fine.

as for Hansbrough...though not the most athletic player to watch...he gets it done night after night this year. I admit he is accomplishing more as a frosh at UNC than I thought he would. I knew he would do well, start, a top 10 national recruit etc...immediate impact guy....but not this good.

More than one NBA scout has Hansbrough as a lottery pick next year after only one year of ball. And, one even has him going in the top five. Will he stay another year? I would hope so. You never know. I don't see him staying 3 years at UNC. Two and done.

Comparing a high school frosh to that...obviously can't do it.

vtime's statement was that griffey was a better shooter right now than tyler hansbrough. if he had said he was better than tyler as a freshman i wouldnt argue that point.

Tyler Griffey might be a better perimeter shooter now than Tyler Hansbrough is.

Hansbrough's strength is finishing strong inside.

Griffey has really worked on his perimeter game, to the point where he spends more time roaming the perimeter than he does trying to work inside. Hopefully when Griffey gets stronger he'll find more of a balance, because he has get touch inside and outside.

If Griffey is done growing, and I don't know whether or not he is, he will go to college as an athletic 6-foot-8 kid who can jump, finish inside and knock down shots on the perimeter.

Griffey is only going to get better. I didn't see Hansbrough as a freshman, but I'd guess than Griffey is a better all-around player at the same stage. But the thing that separates Hansbrough from his peers is his training (strength and agility work) and that he just plays harder than probably 99 percent of his opponents.

- Nate

so you are bragging about 24% shooting percentage from the 3 line? tyler doesnt shoot the three simply because he is smart enough to realize he helps his team more staying inside as i would hope that griffey eventually realizes as well.

Also, Griff has had the weight of the world on his shoulders for years now. He was talked about on prepsports forums as a 6th and 7th grader. Hansbrough is an unbelievable rebounder and good at getting away with shuffling his feet down low. I think that as a freshman, Griffey is more skilled than TH was as a high school freshman and definitely has the potential to be as good or better than TH was by the end of his senior season. I have no hate for Hansbrough, I just think he gets away with stuff. He was a great high school player, and what you could call the Shaquille O'neal of Missouri. He overmatched an undersized sophomore forward in Leon Powell in the title game like he was supposed to. I'm not knocking that. A top 10 national player should be able to get off against a top 10 national team. By the way, you can check out some Vashon games on accurecruit.com. They have all 3 Bass Pro tourney games. Powell shows off the perimeter skills. Shoots threes, dunks, Roach had some great dunks too.

you saw hansbrough play as a freshman? because i saw him. i have not seen griffey yet, but i find it hard to believe he is better now than hansbrough was as freshman that just flat out won games.

Roy,

I wasn't "bragging" about anything. I just said the kid can shoot the 3 and has really worked on his jumper. He already has a nice inside game. But he does get pushed around inside now, and he'll need to get stronger this summer to take his game to another level.

According to his website, as a freshman Tyler Hansbrough averaged 14.7 points and 7.5 rebounds per game. He made 64.6 percent of his field-goal attempts, which went up every year and increased to 77.2 percent as a senior. Hansbrough made four 3-pointers in his freshman season, and 16 in his high school career.

Tyler Griffey is averaging 13.6 points, 7.4 rebounds and 3.7 blocks per game. He's made 57.7 percent of his field goals — 62.4 percent of his 2-point field goals and 25 percent of his 3-point attempts (7-28).

- Nate

i see you dont comment on the shooting percentage of tyler from the 3 line. i dont know either but i suspect if he had wanted to shoot the three he could have made 24% at any time. look at the free throw percentages.

and last, keep in mind vtime original thought that i took issue with is his statement that griffey is a better shooter right now than what tyler hansbrough is right now. tyler is a heart beat from being a lottery pick. right this second, as much potential as griffey has and i hope he is a billiken in 4 years, he would have trouble making a college roster on his present day skills and size. you just cant compare a high school freshman with a college all american.

>i see you dont comment on the shooting percentage of tyler

>from the 3 line. i dont know either but i suspect if he had

>wanted to shoot the three he could have made 24% at any

>time. look at the free throw percentages.

The website didn't have his 3-point shooting percentage. My point with those stats was to show that Hansbrough didn't really shoot the 3. When he did as a senior, it was a rather awkward looking shot.

I do think Griffey is a better all-around shooter, because he can knock down shots from all over the floor. Hansbrough is much better inside, with the high-percentage shots.

>and last, keep in mind vtime original thought that i took

>issue with is his statement that griffey is a better shooter

>right now than what tyler hansbrough is right now. tyler is

>a heart beat from being a lottery pick. right this second,

>as much potential as griffey has and i hope he is a billiken

>in 4 years, he would have trouble making a college roster on

>his present day skills and size. you just cant compare a

>high school freshman with a college all american.

No, you can't compare a high school freshman with a college all-american. But you can compare the two players at the same stage.

Tyler Griffey will never be the same kind of player as Tyler Hansbrough. I don't think Griffey will be that good of an inside player — he's got great touch, but I doubt he'll match Hansbrough's strength and tenacity — but I think Griffey will have a strong all-around game when he gets to college.

- Nate