Shootout thoughts...

My issue with Leon Powell at this point is effort.

He disappears for long stretches of the the game, and then in spurts he is very good.

Also, seems like many of his shots are taken going away from the goal as opposed to attacking the goal.

This from two games last week.

3star, I see your point, not sure I can apply the logic (and I am not saying you are trying to do this either) that Tommie was like this and is now a good player after a year of prep school, where will LP be in 3 yrs? Obviously, a whole lot of water to go over the damn between now and then.

Refresh my memory on your projection as to where you see LP in college and what parts of his game I should notice when I see him play (I will get a great look at Bass Pro in Jan).

Well, Powell's 6'7 195 at the beginning of his junior season. In three years he'll probably be around 6'7 215, which is just fine in the A-10 given his leaping ability and decent post up skills. If you want to see him put the ball on the floor and shoot jumpers, you have to watch him during the summer when Floyd allows him to do those things. His job is to score inside, run the floor and block shots for Vashon during the regular season.

I can agree with what both of you guys have said. Powell does need some weight to play either forward position. He does sleepwalk through some games if they things don't go his way early. He needs to be more consistent. Part of the problem is that they have been experimenting with him since March on the wing. They had the 6'9 Patterson, 6'8 Harrell, and 6'8 Adams and hoped one of them would come along so Powell could play a Nick Kern type role at the pf position, but none of them did so Powell is working on his perimeter skills why playing center in the games, and at this point in the season I think he's getting by on ability more than poise and knowing where he's supposed to be on offense. I think he will play pf at the next level, because I dont see to many 6'7 wings in college these days. If that's the case he needs to put on some weight. His midrange jumper is fine. His quickness is exceptional for the pf position. He just needs more seasoning. Very inconsistent. Lackluster 9ts against Memphis Mitchell and then 26 points 3 days later against a traditionally good Arlington. He needs to bring it every night to gain the respect of scouts opposing coaches and message boards like this one. Has SLU offered him?

>Well, Powell's 6'7 195 at the beginning of his junior

>season. In three years he'll probably be around 6'7 215,

>which is just fine in the A-10 given his leaping ability and

>decent post up skills. If you want to see him put the ball

>on the floor and shoot jumpers, you have to watch him during

>the summer when Floyd allows him to do those things. His

>job is to score inside, run the floor and block shots for

>Vashon during the regular season.

Excellent, educated summary! I really didnt know you were this knowledgeable on area talent.