What Have We Learned So Far?

Taj79

SHORT VERSION: I agree with you, kshoe.

LONGER VERSION .... and think you've hit the nail pretty well on the head. But let me ask you this, short of predictions like "I think we'll do better this year than last (based on the fact that it can't really get much worse)" what good are predictions? That might be a rhetoical question without a real good answer but you have to admit that those predictions have raised some interesting debate.

My point posted many threads ago originally was that I think it is extremely hard to say what's going to happen and when. Yet I think that most involved in the annual prediction contest were sincere in their posts. I would never have predicted Claggs's junior year based on their sophomore year other than an incremental increase.

I believe that if I were a coach, I would be looking at it in a different light. With a lesser team, maybe the Fang Mitchell approach of getting the crap beat out of us, not winning a single game pre-conference, making enough money to support the entire school's athletic program, and then hopefully cruising through that conference and gettting the automatic bid would be the way to go. Of course, those conference sometimes have upsets and its all your eggs in one basket.

SLU is not one of those schools. We've won what, one conference tourney and automatic bid in our entire history? So we do stand a chance of winning enough games so that the tourney automatic is not our only hope. So you have to win non-conference games in those situations to improve your chances. Frankly, right now, I don't see us getting ot the NCAAs short of winning in Cincy come March.

I don't think we will know enough about this team until January, maybe even later. And that might get short circuited on injuries, especially since we have one now with Meyer. What do you think happens to the whole house of cards should that big pillar in the middle break a leg or something?

I remember having us winning the league based on the enrollments of Manuel, Tadysak and Ivester. these are the Billikens .. I've learned to scale back.

If UB does indeed return to Deadball and we don't win with that, I could see the possible exodus of a freshman or possibly two, maybe even a coach. I dont' think TL, and I may be way off base here, would like that style much. With expectations for this team not very high, I hope we give the run and gun style a fair chance. Guess if we're going to lose I'd rather see it 82-71 than 62-53.

Wow! this thread has really picked up some emotion!

The original title was "What have we learned so far?" That means, so far, right?? Or am I misquoting that out of context?? And of course, I still say, yes, we have learned a little.

Some responses make my remarks sound like I have learned everything. But who said that?

The whole year, every game, will provide further information about this team--not really rocket science there. So I, and every sane reader, will agree that we do not yet know the "full story." I was just posting a few thoughts.

PS--I am also trying to be fairly upbeat on this website. But I stand by my 3 main worries: perimeter defense has been surprisingly weak (so far); outside shooting (and free-throws) less effective than anticipated (so far); and running the floor great but not always finishing well (so far; not every underclassman can compare with James Worthy).

I would add a 4th that I thought of since the other day: fouls in the paint could be the REAL Achilles heal of this team, esp. by IV and BH.

peace, brethren!

Your fourth "weakness" has been a real concern ever since we started discussing the 4 guard offense. If IV is the only inside defender, it's going to limit his contribution due to foul trouble. The 3 fouls he picked up in both exhibition games is bothersome as neither team played anyone taller than 6'7". JJ or VN have to take some of the pressure off IV.