Huggins out?

go read the article at cbssportsline.com and then read all the comments. sounds to me it is more about this new president flexing her muscles than being tired of huggy. it sounds like the typical bearcat fan believes 16 straight ncaa tourneys, almost as many conference titles, a final four and 3 elite 8's is reason enough to deal with a few gun violations and such. i dont agree, but the fanship is on huggins side. i will be shocked if huggy loses the battle.

the story has moved on for the new one on jeff capel but here is the link to the huggy article.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/8469100

Living in Cincinnati, this has been the HOTTEST news topic in town...basically the new President has had enough crap from Huggs and his goons (i.e. Roy Bright having a gun on campus and Vincent Banks leaving the school without having even played a game - or actually taken the ACT in person himself as opposed to having someone do it for him). That said, the new pres wants to clean up the program and image. Unfortunately, I am not sure if she realizes how much this program will suffer intially without Huggins and how much money it will lose.

Personally, I think its time for Huggins to go. I'm not a Cats fan anymore (GO BILLIKENS!) but I've grown tired of hearing about all the programs. That aside, 16 straight tournments is one helluva feat, but it also gets old losing in the second round each year. At this point in the recruitment process, it would be unfair to the incoming recruits to axe Huggs.

There's no way this can be pretty...Huggs may last another year or two because the public and fans are on his side (barring anymore incidents) but he can definately see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I think this is really a tough call. On one hand, you can't condone the number of off court problems his players have had. Every university has a few problem childs here and there, but it seems that almost every year, a cincy player commits a felony. Then on the other hand, Huggy has won big in his time there..and all without any major NCAA violations. If I were Huggins and had to put up with all this from the new prez, I'd be starting to look elsewhere.

very stupid move by UC - should have either fired huggy or extended him.

this will be recruiting suicide.

only way to save it would be to name one of the assts his successor - and i don't think that is going to be happening.

so what is the end result? huggy will coach out his next two years - will be the hottest coaching property that offseason and find a great job that will pay him a TON of cash...

meanwhile - UC will suck donkey balls since they won't have been able to recruit effectively for two seasons as there is uncertainty over who will be next coach.

billiant.

Huggs accepted the University of Cincinnati's deciscion not to extend his contract and will finish out the remaining two years. He had a contractual provision that would have allowed him to force a buyout but he has decided to finish the last two years on the contract.

Its better that it happens this way and he goes out on his terms. It wouldn't have been good for anyone had be been fired or forced the buyout.

This will have to really hurt recruiting the next two years. I doubt they could announce an assistant as the replacement, ala Purdue with Painter on the bench this year and head coach next year(05-06), I don't Huggins would go along with this. I would also guess that Huggins will probably interview for whatever openings there are after next season and jump then. Bobby Knight is an AD's nightmare and he was back in a major conference school almost as soon as he wanted. I think Huggins will be so also. Off the top of my head there might be 5-6 openings in the B12 & B10 combined. Wouldn't it be funny to see Huggins at Indiana if Davis is fired after next season.

i too cant believe that the cincy head cant see the hurt she is doing to the basketball program with this move or rather lack of one. as cu said, it will be recruiting suicide. while all the cincy incidents are famous and give the school some bruises, they still won. and the basketball program is paying the way for all sports at cincy. the board has short memories if they cant remember the days of tony yates. and with the handicap they have self imposed, it will almost assuredly return to those yates days again. meanwhile, winning starved programs that arent afraid of a little negative off court stuff will all come running. personally, i think he would be a great fit as the next walmart employee.