Interesting Article on Billiken Dynasty

You can't annoy me with Billiken nostalgia. I'd just again point out that St. Louis is the only place that considers St. Louis the soccer captital of the USA.

From the article:

"It was a different time, a time in which one team dominated our nation's beautiful game, a time in which St. Louis was the soccer capital of the nation, and it's the only thing that makes me wish I were thirty-five years older."

This goof considers soccer "our nation's beautiful game" and by implication considers St. Louis not to be the soccer capital of the nation.

>You can't annoy me with Billiken nostalgia. I'd just again

>point out that St. Louis is the only place that considers

>St. Louis the soccer captital of the USA.

>

>From the article:

>

>"It was a different time, a time in which one team dominated

>our nation's beautiful game, a time in which St. Louis was

>the soccer capital of the nation, and it's the only thing

>that makes me wish I were thirty-five years older."

>

>This goof considers soccer "our nation's beautiful game"

>and by implication considers St. Louis not to be the soccer

>capital of the nation.

The only "goof" is you *****.

GS

"This goof considers soccer "our nation's beautiful game" and by implication considers St. Louis not to be the soccer capital of the nation."

You do know that soccer is commonly referred to as "the beautiful game," right?

And no one in their right mind considers St. Louis to be the soccer capital of the nation, but it is definitely a hotbed, and produces more talent per capita than it probably should be expected to for its size.

what point are you trying to make, again?

I only refer to St. Louis as teh soccer capital of the nation in the past tense. Too much parity these days to take on that title. But we do produce a sizable amount of top-notch players. Note that Steve Ralston, Taylor Twellman, and Pat Noonan, all from St. Louis, will be playing for the US Natl team at the upcoming friendly.

And while we are on soccer and St. Louis, looks like April 22 is the release date for the movie "The Game of Their Lives", a pic about he 1950 US World Cup team that defeated England 1-0 in the WC. Up to then England had never participated in the World Cup as they saw no need to play the rest of the world since they invented the modern game. Big upset to say the least. Plenty of St. Louisians on the US team at the time as we were the soccer captial of the US at the time.

Film was directed by same guy who did Hoosiers and Rudy.