Clinic On Motion Offense...

Schasz

The Illini run the motion offense to a tee. Of course when you have players who knock down their 3's like Luther Head, Dee Brown, Deron Williams, and Roger Powell do, then it makes it very enjoyable to watch.

I watched this team for the 2nd week in a row beat a very formidable Big 10 opponent at the other team's hostile arena. There for awhile tonight, I wondered if the Illini would ever miss. They have a nice mix of players and they are disciplined and unselfish. In their version of the motion offense, they average over 81 points a game. It can be done but the key is finding players (plural) that can run the offense and shoot the basketball. They have 3 starters who shoot an above average 43% beyond the arc in Head, Brown, and Powell.

I really like the Illini and I hope that they have enough in the tank to get to St. Louis and the Final Four. I think the only problem that they could have is a terrible shooting night by the whole team or if they run into a team with a very athletic front court.

You gotta believe that Coach Soderberg wants to find players with similar skills to the players on the Illini's team. They sure do have an impressive basketball team, and I love to watch the way they run the motion offense.

I got to watch a good part of the Illinois game tonight and it was almost like they were running a whole different offense than SLU. But what really did it for them was being able to spread the floor which was created by some stellar shooting. I've been watching a lot of Bills games and I was yelling at the TV on some of the shots the Illini were taking. It just shows what a system a motion offense is if you can get some shoots to fall. I hope this team was taking notes b/c Illinois ran it to a T. Here's to a bright future for our Bills!

I thought I heard listening to the post game show that the Illini took only 51 shots last night against Michigan State. That's probably pretty close to what SLU has taken (averaged) this season.

Again, and again, and again......it all about making shots!

I would like to see Illinois play Texas Tech just for watching the two motion offenses match up.

You heard correctly...Illinois shot 56.9% from the field 29 0f 51, and they hit a super total of 54.2% from beyond the arc 13 of 24. They made a more than respectable 83.3% from the foul line to boot 10 of 12. These are great numbers considering that they were on the road in a very hostile arena.

I liked reading Weber's comments after the game where he said that his players now recognize what the defense is giving them and take advantage of it. Some games it's 3's and other games they drive to the hoop more...that's the sign of a very experienced and disciplined team. Of course it doesn't hurt that they have talented players. They are definitely on a super roll, and it is neat to see a team execute the offense so well. Now if Coach Soderberg can find us 3 to 4 players who can shoot the ball with some consistency!!!

One difference is that the Illini are constantly looking to attack the basket down the middle. They are consistently attempting penetration even if they get cut off at the free throw line ... they kick out for an open look or swing it back around.

But damn they are good ...

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman