Today's game

I saw some positives today. Bryce doesn't look half-bad. He can spell our two big regulars, and I see him developing. I wish he would raise his arms! He didn't except three times, and blocked a few shots. He could be a force later. I think Dwayne developed a little in the second half, after taking no decent shots in the first half. He needs to get behind a screen and shoot. I also liked Frericks coming on during the game, after having a poor pre-season due to injuries and his asthma. I also am impressed with Izak, who played great defense against a strong player and played a good offensive game, except he likes to shoot and not pass. On the bad side, when will Polk learn to defend? And Drajec played poorly with his passing. We will learn from this game.

slulaw said, "On the bad side, when will Polk learn to defend?"

i have not seen vashon play the last couple of years. can anyone tell me that when they play man-to-man, does the vashon team regularly switch on screens? the reason i ask, is that the few times that dwayne got beat on defense yesterday were on screens that he made little to no effort to get around. if you watch the billikens play man-to-man, a switch is rare. they want the guards to fight around, under, through, or over any screen. the big typically will step out to try to slow down the man using the screen, but rarely do they actually screen.

my point is, i wonder if dwayne is just having trouble adjusting to a fundamental change in man-to-man defensive philosophy? if he has been playing it the other way his whole life, in the spur of the moment, old habits are slow to change. overall, dwayne was doing a very good job staying between his man and the basket and i think he does a better job than what i originally thought. like i said, it appears he is just slow to react to the screens more than anything.