"Never heard of 'em" bias showing again

bonwich

"Embarrassed"? Only if we hold the same "how good could an (Ohio Valley, Big Sky, Mid-American, insert your favorite conference without a big name here) team be" bias that also gets put on us by Big 10, Big 12, ACC etc. teams.

Austin Peay was 22-10 last year and went to the second round of the NIT (having defeated one of our favorite "no-name" schools, Belmont, in the first round). Losing to them sucks, but let's also remember Austin Peay 81, Memphis 80 in Memphis two years ago (and Memphis going to the NCAAs the same year).

I continue to think that there's this huge mass of teams between approximately 50 and 150 in the RPI that are so damn close to each other that home-court advantage is the best possible predictor of an outcome, and even it's not rock-solid. And in this case, we're somewhere in the middle of nowhere in one of those high-school gym situations where basically anything can happen (and it did). Especially given our home arena, it would be pleasing if we could host our own bogus "tournament," but that, like our TV contract, radio coverage, etc. remains to be achieved as part of a better commitment to overall excellence.

Meanwhile, I had this initial tournament as first game fairly even, second game win, third game fairly even with a resulting 2-1 record. The fact that we clawed back this first game is the one positive to take away. I'm not going to declare the sky in danger of falling, though, until we see what happens tomorrow.

Win. Win, Win - just worry about wins. If you have a coach that can't win games (that is what he is getting paid for) then get rid of him. The athletic administration and the coaching staff are saddled with the responsibility of scheduling according Too a favorable RPI ranking "THIS YEAR" and is up Too the coaching staff Too deliver with the "WINS". Those contracts come with money and the responsibility of winning games against Austin Pee.

so it goes.

Davidson returns 4 of 5 from their NCAA team.

Mizzou lost 3 starters from last years NIT team.

Mizzou has talent but is very very young and undersized team playing a freshman point guard. The way the Tigers fought back from 19 down showed some heart. This was a fun game to watch but Davidson is obviously the more experienced team and it showed. I would not say this game was a disgrace lots of positives from the game. Davidson will be in the NCAA tourney. The Tigers will struggle early and often this year but have some upside.

You guys have way to high of expectations for the Billikens. With no inside game and a freshman point guard you will have plenty of struggles this year as well.

1. Not a disgrace. I'd prefer "learning experience."

2. Not a disgrace. Again, early season, combined with more parity in college basketball than self-proclaimed "name" schools would care to admit.

3. Definitely a disgrace.

4. Absolute, definitive disgrace: See new item on Offseason board. (Then combine that with what you know about the identity of the number-one supporter of bringing an NBA team to St. Louis.)