NCAA Putting their Foot Down No Decorations or Snacks in Hotels

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

Did you see what Soderball posted right before my two prior posts saying that the schools would have to abandon the "school " part? Like it or not, there has to be some kind of a mechanism to identify those kids that go into college level education with a firm desire to enter professional sports. College athletics paid by scholarships has provided this testing ground. The vast majority of kids playing college athletics, including those desiring to go professional or not, have no future in professional sports. To introduce salaries, unionization , and NILs into the process just makes it harder for those who have no future as sport professionals and will profit the most from the scholarships.

old guy it isnt enough to give scholarships.   there has to be a concerted effort of both the school and the student to excel and succeed in their academic pursuits.   supplying a scholarship but then not enforcing actually completing a degree just passing through is a fail.  that student shouldnt be in college.   head to rankin and learn a trade.   i am sure those institutes can provide a basketball and/or football experience but at least they have an outlet for a fallback career in case they do not make it to the detroit pistons roster.  

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

that's not the college ranks problem.   college athletics should be primarily for getting an education.   if they dont want to go to school, they shouldnt be in college.  no exceptions.   this is the fix to what college athletics is evolving into.   put 100% of the college policing into academics.   if they focus on the student athletes legitimately getting into college, taking legit course work and above board graduating in 5 years or less, that successful student will possess the character needed to fix the problem.  

if the athlete is only there to play basketball and audition for the nba, they are a detriment to the real student athlete and their personal goals.   i have no problem with great athletes going to college.  but they need to do their job of being a real student first and foremost. 

Exactly the NCAA should enforce eligibility and some restrictions on transfers (mid-season) and set standards for the sports (ball size, field size, rules). That's all they need to do. Let everything else be controlled by the conference.

Just now, TheA_Bomb said:

Exactly the NCAA should enforce eligibility and some restrictions on transfers (mid-season) and set standards for the sports (ball size, field size, rules). That's all they need to do. Let everything else be controlled by the conference.

Predict the courts will deal with the mid season transfer rules soon. Just need a test case.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

old guy it isnt enough to give scholarships.   there has to be a concerted effort of both the school and the student to excel and succeed in their academic pursuits.   supplying a scholarship but then not enforcing actually completing a degree just passing through is a fail.  that student shouldnt be in college.   head to rankin and learn a trade.   i am sure those institutes can provide a basketball and/or football experience but at least they have an outlet for a fallback career in case they do not make it to the detroit pistons roster.  

You're worried about stuff and programs that don't matter, Roy. Money matters. The best players are there for the payday.

What you're talking about about you may as well go down to the YMCA and watch rec leagues.

1 minute ago, Soderball said:

Predict the courts will deal with the mid season transfer rules soon. Just need a test case.

I think using a reasonable person standard it's a reasonable restriction to protect the integrity of the game to not allow mid-season transfers to an opponent school (rival or conference). Especially because a player can be induced to switch. So I'm very laissez faire but see the need for this restriction.  Otherwise let it all go as long as the player is eligible at the school they're playing for

4 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I think using a reasonable person standard it's a reasonable restriction to protect the integrity of the game to not allow mid-season transfers to an opponent school (rival or conference). Especially because a player can be induced to switch. So I'm very laissez faire but see the need for this restriction.  Otherwise let it all go as long as the player is eligible at the school they're playing for

Causes "irreparable harm" to players by denying another opportunity to grab cash.

I'm saying what I think will happen, not what I want to happen. The courts and politicians have ruined college sports.

The game is like one of those ridiculous cash grab machines at this point. Pure mercenary. Zero integrity. All money. Used to at least have a veneer, now it's all out in the open.

I honestly think the game would be improved by making a formal professional league using the schools names under license to get rules and sanity back in the system. As long as the players are students and not employees this madness will continue.

3 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Causes "irreparable harm" to players by denying another opportunity to grab cash.

I'm saying what I think will happen, not what I want to happen. The courts and politicians have ruined college sports.

The game is like one of those ridiculous cash grab machines at this point. Pure mercenary. Zero integrity. All money. Used to at least have a veneer, now it's all out in the open.

I honestly think the game would be improved by making a formal professional league using the schools names under license to get rules and sanity back in the system. As long as the players are students and not employees this madness will continue.

Totally disagree with the professional league using schools names.  I agree with Roy the athletes need to at least be students.  It will not be better for the game if they're professionals only, as fans will leave in droves 

I'm not wish casting. I think mid-season transfers restriction would be found reasonable in court.

Less rules = less court cases and the market will work it out.  I think that is the best case. Continue NIL so student athletes do not become employees but can be compensated.

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, Soderball said:

You're worried about stuff and programs that don't matter, Roy. Money matters. The best players are there for the payday.

What you're talking about about you may as well go down to the YMCA and watch rec leagues.

You see you're only concern is basketball.  I care about saving the idea of real student athletes.  It sickens me that academics is nearing elimination with athletics.   

I'm bordering on wishing we go to D3 if the direction of where D1 is headed doesn't excite me in the least.

If college sports becomes purely professional im definitely done with the Billikens.  If I want to watch pure professional basketball or football I'll go to NFL or NBA games where the best athletes play.   Not a disguised minor league.  

57 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

You see you're only concern is basketball.  I care about saving the idea of real student athletes.  It sickens me that academics is nearing elimination with athletics.   

I'm bordering on wishing we go to D3 if the direction of where D1 is headed doesn't excite me in the least.

The courts have absolutely trashed it. The latest decision now allows NIL collectives to straight up pay high school kids to come to their "university" with no limitations. TN is the prime example of the sleazeball so-called "school" and they have again triumphed in court over the NCAA. I thought we couldn't get much more slimy than the NCAA, our nations "judicial system" has proven me sorely mistaken.

billiken_roy likes this

36 minutes ago, Soderball said:

The courts have absolutely trashed it. The latest decision now allows NIL collectives to straight up pay high school kids to come to their "university" with no limitations. TN is the prime example of the sleazeball so-called "school" and they have again triumphed in court over the NCAA. I thought we couldn't get much more slimy than the NCAA, our nations "judicial system" has proven me sorely mistaken.

Not sure what's slimy about allowing an individual to have the same freedom as every other individual. One of the cornerstones of our society, equality under the law. To profit off the work of student athletes and then try to limit their freedom arbitrarily seems more slimy to me.