alex tyus article

no mention of any billiken interest. i got this off of dave telep's insiders.com site.

"Alex Tyus excelled at the Nike Jamboree and that earned him an invite to the Nike All-American Camp. However, after that it was an up-and-down summer for the Hazelwood Central (Mo.) junior forward.

Alex Tyus

Alex Tyus was frustrated at times this past summer.

``It was tough because I played well enough at the Nike Jamboree to go to the Nike All-American Camp and I thought I did well there,†said the 6-6 ½, 210-pound junior at Hazelwood Central (Mo.). “But some of the tournaments we played in, I just didn’t feel like I got respect.â€

Tyus is an athletic frontcourt player who does a nice job finishing. He still needs to work on his perimeter skills – his outside shot and his ballhandling abilities – and also being more consistent.

``He's very athletic, is long and does a good job on the offensive glass," St. Louis Eagles coach Eric Long said. "It's an extremely tough matchup for other teams."

However, there’s a reason for Tyus’ weaknesses being on the perimeter. He’s always been taller than his peers and has been forced to play in the middle ever since he can remember, so he’s just started to really be able to move onto the wing and begin to develop his three-man skills.

``I am trying to prove that I can play outside and prove people wrong,†Tyus said.

Tyus put up modest numbers of 12 points and 6 boards a year ago in high school, but that’s a near-certainty to increase now that Kalen Grimes and Aaron Jackson, the team’s top two offensive players, have departed.

Tyus attended the UCLA elite camp this past year, so that would explain why the Bruins are high atop a list that also includes Florida, Arizona, North Carolina, Miami, USC, LSU, Texas, UNLV and Syracuse.

``I don’t necessarily want to go to a big-name school because I want to go somewhere I can play,†Tyus said. “Also, I want to go somewhere that I can trust the coaches – a good environment where I’m comfortable.†"