soccer/game notes

courtside

As previously posted, in Chicago for Labor Day weekend, 50/50 to make SLU soccer game...well...I made it. I will next be at Fri home game vs SMU.

Beautiful night for soccer. Lineups can be found in box score, but...SLU opened with Disbennet in goal, Benne, Gasparovic, Branan, Ward in back, Grazier, John D, Wileman, Wynn at midfield, Mattesson, and John up top.

SLU had chances early, repeatedly bringing the ball up the left side, Benne, John D(yes on the left), controlling just past midfield, 3 qtrs and reversing with Wileman sending low through balls to Wynn on right side for multiple chances. Wynn needed to do better with what he had. First goal was bang bang, Wynn drawing the corner and sending it far, top of box to Branan, a big target, who flicked to John who hammered short side high, no chance for keeper, 1-0 5 minutes in.

First half was evenly played, and SLU fortunate to be up 1-0. Marquette like most conference opponents, get jacked up to play SLU. Paly was chippy throughout. Marquette was very disciplined and organized, with speed and good angles in back. Once SLU controlled the ball at midfield, their choices weren't the best. After some solid interior passing, SLU would endlessly hit low line drive vertical passes on the wings about 25 yards from just past midfield to inside the box. Will John is a target player, but he was constantly sent into space, not a strength. Marquette took the proper angles, and speed, and little threat developed. SLU was offsides ELEVEN times in the first half. Ten of which were legit calls. Sloppy. Disbennett came up big a couple of times. Marquette had success coming through SLU's left side a few times....Let me say Gasparovic will be a very solid nice player for SLU, but struggled against Marquette...he got turned inside out twice, gave away a clear breakaway(low line drive to corner for Marquette's best player, Disbennet made it look easy diving right.) and took down a player just outside the box for free kick...all in first half.

What stood out in first half...Marquette was vocal, fired up, SLU business-like, just another game(which is fine). Crowd, a non-factor. Wynn missed some opportunities, and missed a few defensive counters(Donigan not happy)....was benched late first half for Reeder, and didn't return until late in game. Deservedly. Matteson, misplaced up front, is non-factor. In some terrific half-time adjustments, Matteson switched with John D, John D up top. John D was playing left side at mid in half one, did okay. Reeder switched to left side, Matteson right side. 25 minutes into first half, Benne went down like he was shot. He is fine, believe he was kicked near groin, or leg, was fine after game. Sat out rest of game, replaced at left back by Spiess. Benne is big and physical, and marks well, but doesn't bring anything to table to push up an attack offensively. Casey saw action immediately and often late first half, and struggled, very shaky. He was getting angry at himself and got into a grab and punch session for awhile with his man up and down the field, who obliged. I like the toughness, but he had bad game. Tough to come in when he did, but he looks inexperienced in back...played forward in high school, left-mid last year.

Moving John D up top may have been the find of the year. I would be very surprised if the move isn't permanent. John D can run into space, Matteson cannot. John D is on another level with vision and creativity as well as him. Best player on SLU in first half imo, Brian Grazier. He will be a horse when he is match fit.

After bringing the ball exclusively up the left side in half one, it was almost all the right side in half two. This meant little touches for Reeder,(as he switched from r to l) another adjustment was moving Ward up on the right side mid, in second half, leaving three in back. Branan was solid all night, slow of foot is the only strike against him.(chasing someone down could be an issue) Ward was very active in second half....his play was indeed a bit too wild, a bit too ambitious with his touch most of the night. He played in front of a ton of family and friends coming home for game, and I think he never settled down. But you can see his potenetial, size, speed, and vision. Wileman had some nice interior passes setting up chances and did his best creating at midfield, same old...working very hard, not always effective, but working hard. He gets the most out of his talent...just wish he was even more talented.

SLU was very quick on restarts and counters, and that is where they had the edge on Marquette. An even game, had SLU up 1-0 most of it, and it is easier to play with that early lead....then gets a counter goal with John D, and then the flood gates opened. SLU was much better in second half, credit Donigan with adjustments. Desire was fine even in half one. The offsides were out of control for SLU, Marquette really didn't have any serious second half chances. They play a nice game, played very hard, in posistion...they just faded in second half,and couldn't control their emotions...John D was sent in for SLU's second goal...it was right in front of me...he was onside, close, but onside...Marquette lost it from there, vehemently arguing the call and do not have that one or two special players that make the difference for your team. Typically, their coach's post-game remarks were of how Marquette controlled a most of the game...etc...but you really saw the difference between the two teams...MU hung for a while...because they too have the Wileman's etc...on their team...like most teams do...but They don't have a John d or Will John...etc...If Marquette finsished one of their first half chances, the game may have taken a different turn.

SLU's players who had good or solid games...Grazier, John D, Brannan, Disbennett, Wileman

Uneventful, Matteson, Reeder, Benne, Ward

Didn't have a strong outing...Gasparovic, (though was much better in second half, same for Spiess), Spiess, Wynn

It is pretty clear that John D needs to play up top with Will. Something very good may have come out of this game.

side notes....Former Billiken Joe Hammes(now A league Milwaukee United and indoor Wave)....his folks were at the game, even asked Donigan about Peplinski, and recruiting the area...John d's dad, etc...John D's dad played college soccer with Will's dad...

Marquette basketballer Travis Diener sat near us at the game, and by all accounts is a nice kid. He was there to see Jeff Sackman...not sure of the connection.

Thanks for the excellent report Courtside. It is tough to go on the road in CUSA and win. They haven't had the best of luck against Marquette. Glad to hear you like Disbennet. Both games I saw ... he didn't really get a chance to do anything. Is he good enough to challenge Hutton?

I think SLUBALLS and I discussed John D upfront ... I think it is a good idea.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

What's interesting is SLU is something like 20-3-1 all time vs Marquette...it just seems that way after tying 1-1 last season, and losing 1-0 two years ago when Walls and McKee were up top to begin season. Disbennett looked good. He was not tested in second half at all. He made a couple of nice saves in the first half, one on a breakawy and a couple of flurries in a crowd. He did get caught on a long throw in cross, waited a tad too long to go out and punch and collided in a crowd...could have been a goal. He plays older than a Frosh. I think he will get more of a test next weekend if he's in there. I like his size and aggression. He was solid when he needed to be, but needs more of a test. Any time you win on the road in conference, regardless of opponent and score is good. SLU also had a couple of free kicks just outside the box...one, Ward deeked nicely and John left-footed too softly in a wall of 10 people. Another Ward blasted it.

SMU Falls to Stanford, 2-0, in Mi Cocina Men's Soccer Classic

Tulsa Tops Kentucky, 2-1, in Sunday's First Game

For Immediate Release: Sunday, September 5, 2004 | PRINT THIS STORY | EMAIL THIS STORY

ADVERTISEMENT

DALLAS (SMU) - The SMU men's soccer team dropped a 2-0 decision to Stanford Sunday evening in the final day of the SMU Mi Cocina Classic at Westcott Field. Stanford captured the tournament title while Tulsa placed second. SMU finished in third and Kentucky fourth.

In the first half, Stanford took control of the pace, keeping the Mustangs on the defensive. But SMU continued to attack whenever possible and the game remained scoreless at the intermission. In the second half, SMU's offense began to click, but Stanford's defense stymied SMU. The Cardinal got their first goal at the 54:56 mark when Darren Fernandez touched in a crossing pass from Galen Thompson. Stanford added an insurance goal at 79:46 with a header by Evan Morgan off a corner kick from James Twellman.

In a very physical battle which drew five Kentucky yellow cards, the Tulsa Golden Hurricane took advantage of the Wildcats down one player and defeated Kentucky by the score of 2-1. The Golden Hurricane got on the scoreboard first when Todd Goddard blasted a shot that rebounded off a Wildcat defender at the 24:41 mark. Kentucky knotted the game, 1-1, when Jamal Shteiwei ran down the left side of the field, drove in a fired a shot past Tulsa GK Dominic Cervi at the 27:59 mark. The second half got rough as Kentucky's Anthony Peters was issued his second yellow card at 53:09 as he plowed into Cervi, forcing Cervi to leave the game. Tulsa posted the game-winner at 65:23 when Daniel Wasson found a rebounded ball and scored.

The SMU Mi Cocina Classic All-Tournament team consists of: Jamal Shteiwei and Brandon Stewart - Kentucky; Kellan Zindel and Jake Jackson (SMU), Dominic Cervi, Todd Goddard, and Mike Haynes (Tulsa); and Andrew Kartunen, Michael Brown, Darren Fernandez, Cooper McKee and MVP James Twellman (Stanford).

...keep in mind Skip...that Disbennett was the keeper for the Busch u 18 national title team in August(Grazier, Gasparovic, DiRaimondo, Hemzagic all on the team)...and he was named Busch soccer program player of the year. So he is getting some good experience. A lot of those other kids played together 4-5 years...not sure when Disbennett came on board.

National number 1 CBC had 6-7 Gallagher kids from the under 17 champs and 5-6 Lou Fusz kids on their team.

I knew that ... I was wandering if you thought he had any chance of unseating Martin once he is healthy. Or is the job Martin's regardless of how well Disbennett plays. Just curious of your and SLUBALLS opinions.

Personally ... I am hoping he plays if he is equal or better than Hutton, as he should improve and the playinf time will only help.

I believe from past memory that you are not the biggest Hutton guy. I like him. I have seen him at his best and he can be terrific. I think Hutton will start when healthy. Now, if Disbennett keeps rolling along with a lot of games, it gets trickier....but for the next two weekends...SMU, UVA, St. John's....those are tough ones. I am fine with Disbennett in there...he takes charge, has good size, etc...but, he is pretty quiet back there. I have no problem with a healthy Hutton back there. But if he is questionable or not 100%, Disbennett is fine.

Obviously conference games are important....but these first few national games get you that early top ranking, and seeding....then you just need to win your conference and conference tourney....so there is a little more margin for error in those games.

Actually ... I was a big Hutton guy last year ... and I thought he plahyed ok. I just expected a better year. I don't think he came up with the big save as often as I would have expected last year, and he got beat on the near post twice I believe. That is an absolutely unacceptable. Overall though I like him also.

I am just hoping I guess that Disbennett turns out to be a real top flight goalie on a Nat'l level