We are dealing with human beings here--not robots!

It seems to me that everyone forgets that we are dealing with human beings in this TL scenario and in each instance people react in ways that are predictable and unpredictable--just like all of the rest of us.

As I said in an earlier post, Tommie, under the influence of a local street agent--away from his family and trusted advisors--made a bad decision and was really a pawn in the big money ploy of Lewis who convinced Tommie that UNLV would be the door to the golden fleece of the NBA. Because Tommie was basically out of touch with family and the SLU coaches--the uncertainty became reality and the mess became a big media story.

As a young and inexperienced teenager, we have to cut Tommie some slack--he did what most human beings do--he was wowed by the bright lights and the constant voices of praise and adulation. When he got home some sanity prevailed but the damage was done.

Then let's look at Coach Brad--He is an intense competitor who truly believes he can build something at SLU. He was undoubtedly very happy that Tommie selected SLU but he and the coaches felt like they worked hard to get him and stayed the course for a long time--even when it was apparent that tommie would not qualify as a freshman. He kept his commitment to Tommie throughout the process and I am sure he stopped recruiting a very good prospect in order to save a scholarship for Tommie.

Then what happens? The mess with the announcement and the apparent rejection of SLU and Coach Brad and his other coaches must have been embarassing and a real personal blow to Brad and the staff who worked so hard for a long time in the recruitment of Tommie. The fact that it got so much press must have heightened the level of frustration.

So--as most human beings would do--Brad, a proud man who believes that everyone should do the right thing, reacts with a feeling that if Tommie has in a public way rejected us then do we really want him in the program. He then decides that he wants to meet with Tommie and the family to make sure that they are truly committed before he goes out on a limb and offers an unconditional scholarship that might be given to another recruit.

Nothing in this entire situation should surprise any of us. This type of thing happens every day in our lives. Most of the time, when people care about each other and they can get past difficult times, a middle ground can be reached that satisfies all concerned. I am sure that Brad wants to be sure that Tommie will not flip flop again as has been predicted by several posters on this board. Let's hope that all will be sorted out in the August meeting and Tommie will commit to our Bills unconditionally so we can look forward to having him in a Bills uniform for many years!

I agree that it will be interesting to see how the TL situation plays out. I hope he will be a Billiken.

I question how many "I commit" and "I'm re-opening my recruiting" situations a head coach can handle. What if every recruit took the same approach. Lock a school in with your early verbal commitment and then look for a better deal! You would be looking at chaos and a big-time losing program.

18 year old young men say and do dumb things. However, some don't get a mulligan on their decision or actions. I wonder how many of our 18 year old soldiers in Afghanistan and Iraq would like a mulligan..... surely some, but not all is my guess.