Tim Ream - Bolton Player of the Year

Congrats to Tim on a great season at Bolton where he earned player of the year honors from both the supporter's group and the team. I'd like to see him eek out a place on the 23-man world cup roster as kind of a utility player along the backline, but I think he's a long shot. Ideally, it'd be nice to see him become the USMNT's starting LB down the road.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/soccer/sidelines-st-louisan-ream-is-drawing-praise-for-soccer-skills/article_1976a84d-94fe-5f2d-be39-ff7b167d8f7f.html

Congrats to Tim on a great season at Bolton where he earned player of the year honors from both the supporter's group and the team. I'd like to see him eek out a place on the 23-man world cup roster as kind of a utility player along the backline, but I think he's a long shot. Ideally, it'd be nice to see him become the USMNT's starting LB down the road.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/soccer/sidelines-st-louisan-ream-is-drawing-praise-for-soccer-skills/article_1976a84d-94fe-5f2d-be39-ff7b167d8f7f.html

I'd really like to see him displace Beasley at LB, especially if Klinsi isn't willing to play Fabio back there.

• 2 weeks later...

A few days late on this, but Ream didn't make the preliminary 30 man roster for the USMNT. Disappointing, particularly in the context of who Klinsman did put on the roster (Yedlin, Green and about 200 RBs). Not sure why Tim wasn't given a chance to show that he could fill a number of positions of need for the USMNT.

I think Ream will get plenty of looks during the next cycle. Jones/Beckerman, Goodson and Beasley will all be out of the picture at the three positions he is competing for. Time worked against him for Brazil, but he is definitely back in the picture.

I think Ream will get plenty of looks during the next cycle. Jones/Beckerman, Goodson and Beasley will all be out of the picture at the three positions he is competing for. Time worked against him for Brazil, but he is definitely back in the picture.

Completely agree. I still think he should have been tried as a LB for the USMNT for this cycle. Then you could have the option to move Fab up to LW or have Ream as a suitable backup. I suppose Chandler could be the backup to Fab at LB which isn't bad if Chandler is in good form.

A few days late on this, but Ream didn't make the preliminary 30 man roster for the USMNT. Disappointing, particularly in the context of who Klinsman did put on the roster (Yedlin, Green and about 200 RBs). Not sure why Tim wasn't given a chance to show that he could fill a number of positions of need for the USMNT.

I think Klinsmann is comfortable with Beasley/F Johnson at LB and we do have depth (if not top-level talent) at CB. Goodson will be an ok back-up and has way more experience with the team than Ream. Brooks has a higher upside, and is still eligible for Germany so Klinsmann will want to make sure he totally commits and is cap-tied. For the next cycle, I see Ream as a potentially important part of the squad. He could have a Cameron-like ascent.

Completely agree. I still think he should have been tried as a LB for the USMNT for this cycle. Then you could have the option to move Fab up to LW or have Ream as a suitable backup. I suppose Chandler could be the backup to Fab at LB which isn't bad if Chandler is in good form.

The thing is, he wasn't "hot" enough last summer to make the Gold Cup squad and then by the time Ream was an obvious choice we only had two friendlies left. He definitely could have been the answer at LB like you said.