Charlie Spoon to be asst at MU?

I was talking to an Illinois fan at work a couple of days ago & said if Quin does get fired later this year(like after the August? review) usually they have an assistant become an interm coach. This wouldn't really be possible since the 2 main assistants are gone(or soon to be). I said Charlie S. doesn't have a job now & since he really wouldn't have to recruit could be a candidate as a interm coach. I doubt Norm would want to come back either. Somebody at in KU land must be thinking the same thing. I seriously doubt though MU fans would want an ex SMS & SLU coach.

I can`t see Charlie doing it,but I could see Jay Spoonhour there.

I have no idea if Charlie wants back into coaching, I was just throwing out a thought. I also kind of thought the UNLV retirement might have been more of an audition for his son Jay than Charlie having health problems. Jay seems like a good young coach, I think he will probably be a head coach somewhere soon.

I think most of them would love to have a missouri guy like Spoonhour as an assistant. After getting beaten 3 times by Kansas this year (including one that for all intents and purposes, we should have won handily), most mizzou fans would like a guy who has spent a lot of time in the state of missouri and understands that losing to kansas 3 times a year is unacceptable.

The reasons Spoon left include

attendance at UNLV games down

70% of student body did not know who Spoon was

player revolt

no NCAA appearances

new AD

Spoon may or may not have health problems, but this was used as a cover for the other reasons. I will be suprised if he shows up to take Queens place.

Seen that rumor has it old friend Melvin Watkins(Charlotte and Texas A&M)coach will/has interviewed for an assistant position.I think he would be a great choice,I always liked Melvin.

other than the few that post on this board SLU isn't a top rival for MU. I was playing golf at Forest Park recently and a guy asked to join our threesome - he was wearing a Mizzou cap and I told him "only if you take that thing off." He replied "did you go to KU? Illinois?" When I said "no, I go to SLU" his response was "oh, so why do you care about Mizzou?"

I don't think hiring a SLU guy would inflame Mizzou fans anymore than hiring a SMS guy inflamed SLU fans, which was little (if at all) provided he's the best guy for the job. That said, from what I've heard from Spoon's son who I've drank with a few times, I think his head coaching days are over.