North Texas Preview

MCMelton

Amid my final thoughts on the game Sunday.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1430972-st-louis-university-billikens-win-for-majerus-north-texas-game-preview

Yes, North Texas is a one-man show. That hasn't boded well for the Bills this year (Foster, Wilcox, Releford). But I think SLU can really flex their strength down low.

NT doesn't use anyone taller than 6-8 in their primary rotation. Evans and Remekun should be practicing their low-post moves right now.

And if Rob Loe doesn't get off the wing and into the paint on this team, then he never will.

http://bleacherrepor...as-game-preview

Yes, North Texas is a one-man show. That hasn't boded well for the Bills this year (Foster, Wilcox, Releford). But I think SLU can really flex their strength down low.

NT doesn't use anyone taller than 6-8 in their primary rotation. Evans and Remekun should be practicing their low-post moves right now.

And if Rob Loe doesn't get off the wing and into the paint on this team, then he never will.

He never will

I still have faith in the big guy. But it might take a fellow big man to teach him the ways of playing both on the wing and down low.

Loe is not that great of a 3-point shooter that it will by itself keep him on the court. He needs to be willing to defend the opponent's center, as well as post up every now and then.

If he wants to play more than 15 minutes a game, he's going to have to change. Now!

While I agree with SLU's struggles against "one-man shows", Kansas maybe the most opposite of this in the nation. Yes Releford had a big half but he didn't even lead Kansas in scoring that game...

I'm okay with calling North Texas a "one-man show" behind Mitchell. He leads the team in field goals made, free throws made, is second in three's made, leads the team in points, rebounding, blocks, etc. He's done that despite the fact that only takes 16% of the team's shots and 22% of their three's, which aren't numbers that necessarily scream he's their prime option. Some of the lack of shots could likely be explained by opposing team's focusing on him. But it's clear he is their best player. (For reference, Cody takes 21% of our shots and 37% of our three's and is second in scoring, rebounding, free throws made, etc.)

However, I'm pretty sure KU isn't a "one-man show". Just because we dared one man to beat us the entire game (and boy did he, with Withey's help I'd add) doesn't mean the way Kansas plays is similar to North Texas. Releford is at best the third option behind Withey and McLemore. He's taken 15% of the team's shots and 20% of their threes.

FWIW, Wilcox leads UW in minutes, points, 3rd in rebounding, assists, steals, 2nd in blocks, leads in FT%, has taken over 30% of the team's shots, and 40% of the team's threes. He was a one-man wrecking crew. Foster leads SC in points and steals, second in assists, has taken 29% of their shots, and 39% of their threes.

Points being, I agree that when we couldn't contain the one man show (Wilcox and Foster going off), we didn't do well. However, we lost to Kansas because they are a better team than us. Mitchell hasn't exactly been hogging the ball all year, but I would expect their coach to encourage him to shoot the ball more against us than he has been to date. It will be important to contain him and keep him from getting easy rebounds on the offensive end. Hopefully Cody can draw a charge or two before he really gets going.