Eagles 16s win Shootout

As expected, the Eagles 16s rolled to the finals. They stumbled a bit in the final game but still won it. Adam Knollmeyer, the 6'7 PF from Helias almost singlehandedly beat Gateway in the semifinals. He must have scored at least 25 points on a variety of post moves and offensive putbacks. He's about 210 lb, fairly athletic and is fundamentally sound.

Ben Hansbrough really needs to tone it down a notch. All the screaming and strutting he does after making a routine play is really unnecessary -- this isn't the NFL. He is a really good rebounder for a 6'3 guard, and a decent passer but needs to work on his defense and going to his left.

Jarod Leonard continues to improve. He was the Eagles' best player in the final game, rebounds well despite his slight frame, plays good on the ball defense and slashes well. He needs to work on his passing, particularly his entry passing into the post.

The 6'0 shooting guard from Webster, Justin Taylor, has springs in his shoes. He can get to the rim, levitate and finish. Justin didn't look for his jump shot today but I know from the regular season that he has a nice stroke. Needs to improve his handle.

Civic Memorial PG Stephen Jones is going to be really good when he learns to stop dominating the ball so much. He handles and shoots well but has a tendency to pound the ball too long at the top of the key and consequently the offense stagnates.

Dustin Maguire, Gateway 16s best player, still hasn't cooled off the regular season, as he rained jump shots from 2-3 feet behind the three point line. That kid can really shoot it and has a solid frame -- 6'4 200 lb.

Matt Lawrence did some clutch rebounding and free throw shooting down the stretch to put the Gateway 17s into the final game but I'm not sure how they made out. His combination of size (6'6), shooting and rebounding make him the 2nd best overall player in the metro area's 2005 class, IMO.

3-Star thanks for the recap--sounds like a lot of good talent for Brad to be looking at for the next couple of years.

Also did you see that SIU signed Tony Boyle out of DeSoto, 6'8" 220--since I haven't heard of him is this a good signing or a stretch? They are guessing he will probably redshirt so he probably wasn't our answer at the 4, but just wondering what you thought of him. Thanks.

I caught their Friday evening game and their Sunday semi-final against Gateway. I agree with you re 6-7 Adam Knollmeyer as he catches your eye. Solid young frame with wide shoulders, athletic/good feet, active with the ball and to the boards, and scores near the basket out to 10 feet. Most definitely a post player to follow, especially if he is still growing.

I also agree that Ben H is wound a little tight. He is talented, and he comes with alot of intensity, plus a dab of mustard.

The Eagles16 coach, Steve Lanter (U of Illinois), is instructing 95% of the game and the kids listen. The Eagles16 played 12 kids both days and it is a problem for some to get any continuity going (i.e., Kyle Kirk) with the constant subbing.

6-4 Dustin MaGuire has nice strength for a junior-to-be, but I'm not sure as yet about his foot speed. Need to see him more.

Next Eagles tournament in St. Louis is May 21-23. Many juniors and seniors-to-be worth seeing!